Upload speed - ADSL

Starter Poster

Upload speed - ADSL

by StaceyA Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (965 Views)

Good morning,

Could someone please advise what the upload and download speeds should be on ADSL as I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

We have continuted to have issues since we were sent a new modem last year with the internet being slow and dropping in and out. We were told originally to change the channels from Auto and after doing this they just seem to change back to Auto after some time and we go back to square one.

I'm almost at the point now where if we can't get this sorted I'll be looking to change to another provider even though it means having to pay an early disconnection fee (again I can't find anywhere on the webiste what the charge of this would be so if someone could also advise on this that would be appreciated.)

Starting to get a little fed up with paying for a service we can't use properly. I'm meant to start working from home part time but with internet that doesn't work properly this is going to be difficult.

Thanks

S

Staff

Re: Upload speed - ADSL

[ Edited ]
by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 2 of 7 (959 Views)

Hi There

Could you PM me your details so i can take a look at it. ADSL upload speeds and your wi-fi is not related at all. So lets figure out where the exact problem is and see if I can get resolve it for you.

ADSL is a technology where distance place a major part so your location from the exchange ( where the network equipment is) and the your residence will play a major part in the speeds you get.

Further you are away from the exchange slower and lower speeds you get with reliability on the line reducing drastically as well. So details of your account will enable me to find out if you are in the best access type for the location and if there is anything better we from vodafone can provide for you.

Also the changing to another provider will not provide you with a better service as all ISPs use the same equipement ( network side) to provide service to the end user. so you can be with spark, slingshot etc and you have similar performance of the line as the lines are from Chorus. and the distance to your house and Exchange doesnt change.

regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 7 (947 Views)

@Bogemon have done. Thankyou.

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 4 of 7 (944 Views)

PMed you the details. You are on VDSL by the way. Check you speeds now and let me know. Do the speedtest over LAN connection dont do it over wifi unless you are connetd to the 5GHz network

should be getting proper speeds on the upload now. You should consider connecting to the 5G Wireless channel rather than the 2.4 Ghz as 2.4Ghz is overly congested nowadays as all standard wireless equipement uses it. ( not just wiifi but all RF equipemtn like bluetooth, baby monitors, garage door remotes, headsets etc) so lots of the interference you wont see.

regards

Dilhan

Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
New Poster

by AnthonyCull New Poster
Message 5 of 7 (841 Views)

I have noticed on the modem that Vodafone send you the 2.4GHZ network has better range than the 5GHZ also you can download wifi analyzer which can pickup chanels and see if lots of people are on the same chanel. This can reduce your speeds.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 7 (839 Views)

@AnthonyCull I've noticed that also re the difference between 2.4 and 5. Seems strange.

Where do you download the analyzer from? That could defintely be worth having a shot at.

Highlighted
Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 7 of 7 (797 Views)

Hi Guys

Yes the range is different . Its 2 Different Radio frequencies. So the way they propagate is different. to check the analyser you can use your phone and google store to search for Wi-Fi Analyser. there will be hundreds of them.

the main difference is how they perform as 5Ghz on 802.11ac protocol will provide higher throughput and handles  interference range, errors much better than the 2.4Ghz 802.11n networks.

if you google search you see so much articles on this.

As an end user the only thing we need to remember is 5 Ghz is a much less use band and has a lot of Channels in it so there is a lot of choice to move to when an interference occurs. Also the modulation schemes used are more robust.

So if you have really have bad experience on the 2.4 802.11n you will best upgrade your devices to the 5Ghz capable NIC cards or in some instances the device itself. 

Also thing to note is that When on your wi-fi analyser you will not see the whole of the RF interference as wi-fi will only look at the 802.11 packets only. Imagine this like you have red ,green, blue, yellow and black cars on the motoroway but when you are looking from the Wi-Fi analyser its like you only see the Blue cars. .so you will not see the proper interference.

regards

Dilhan

Vodafone.

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors