Upgrading modem

Regular Poster

Upgrading modem

by Regular Poster jkevink Regular Poster
Message 1 of 6 (896 Views)

Hey guys,

I'm currently on the Unlimited Ultra Fast 200 plan and is currently on the white Vodafone wireless modem. I've find difficulties that sometimes the connection just gets disconnected and when i do a ping test some packet is lost or with high latency. 

Wanting to upgrade to your latest modem Vodafone Ultra Hub how do I do this?

New Poster

Re: Upgrading modem

by VitoNonumalo New Poster
Message 2 of 6 (883 Views)

I'd also be keen to upgrade. Hav e re-signed twice with no option for an upgrade given! Didnt realise we could.

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 3 of 6 (858 Views)

Hi There

The best would be is to check with retentions team to upgrade to the new RGW.

The ping and the jitter varies on a number of things and is usually will be higher if you do it over wi-fi ( Wi-Fi being the media that everybody uses. Imagine the motorway - you have no control of the cars around you and it can be congested at times and everybody wants a piece of the road) try your ping test when connected through a cable and check. on a 200/20 plan you may not see a bit difference in performance. especially when using wireless. But if you are on a 1 Gbps plan you will see a difference ( depends on your hardware though.eg - phone, laptop)

I have done an article for our internal team on Wi-Fi let me ask the Knowledge base guys to publish it to the public as well. if you have the new Ultrahub you can understand how each and every device connected can work and its capabilities.

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster jkevink Regular Poster
Message 4 of 6 (854 Views)

Thanks for this Bogemon,

I understand that the ping will vary up and down but I'm the only user at the apartment. So I assume upgrading the router would be a good option. My friend had similar issue previously and she said that upgrading the router helps her a lot.

Can you get me in touch to the retentions team re upgrading to new RGW pls?

Contributor

by Contributor causality Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (844 Views)

The reason I like the UltraHub over the HG659 (yeah, the white one) is that the UltraHub has dual channel (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) AC1300 max for WiFi, whereas the HG659 is AC750 max if you had the later Fibre capable modem (with red WAN socket). Slower if it was the older VDSL version of the HG659.

Before I got the new VTV service, connecting the Galaxy S7 Edge on the 5Ghz channel, I've had speeds of up to 399 Mbps down and 344 Mbps up. Since VTV installed, this drops a bit, but I still get a very reasonable 269 Mbps down and up ranging from 150 mbps to 404 mbps (!??), and that was with laptop connected via Ethernet and VTV streasming Live TV in Full HD.

Depending upon the age and speeds of your connected devices, you could, in theory, reach these speeds or even get a faster speed with newer devices.

Via Ethernet I consistently get above 900 Mbps on the laptop when the VTV is offline and above 700 Mbps when it's streaming Full HD. So Ethernet is the way to go if you can.

BTW, the VTV is connected via Ethernet as one gets the full speeds available with 1Gpbs Fibre. If you're on 200/20 or other slower speed then that's going to slow the downloads and streaming with multiple devices connected.

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 6 of 6 (819 Views)

Hi There

Actually the HG659 is 5Ghz-  802.11 ac 3 x 3 = 1300Mbps and 2.4Ghz -802.11n 300Mbps on 2 x 2

Ultrahub is the only router in the market by an ISP which is capable of 1733Mbps which has a configuration for 5 Ghz - 802.11ac on a 4 x 4 . and 2.4Ghz on 802.11n = 2 x 2

Now you might ask me what is this 2 x 2, 3 x 3 and 4 x 4 - these are the antenna configuration. .

This is the same for the devices. So ideally if you have a device with 1 x 1 you will have a speed of 433Mbs , 2 x 2 = 867Mbps , 3 x 3 = 1300Mbps  and 4 x 4 = 1733 .. . If your device is 1 x 1 it will take the lowest data rate to transfer. Wifi Being half duplex usually u will get half the link speed minus 10% 20% for the overhead

eg - if your link speed is 433 = your realistic speed will be around ( 433/2) -10% = around 200 Mbps. 

Both RGWs are Dual band which means it can transmit ( Tx) and receive (Rx) on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

we have tested the Ultrahub on unleashing around 805Mbps over Wi-fi when connected with a PC with a 4 x4 wireless card.

Ultrahub actually has the capability to check your Device capability. Once i have that article out for the public i ll drop a link for your convenience.

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors