Ultrahub and wireless speeds

Contributor

Ultrahub and wireless speeds

by Contributor gr0unded Contributor
Message 1 of 6 (669 Views)

I live in Waiuku and have fibre and a Vodfone Ultrahub. I am on the "200" broadband plan. My issue is wireless speeds. I am currently at my PC which is 10m away from the Ultrahub with only a stud wall partially in between. I have speeds of 14mbs download and 21mbs upload. The small laptop I have plugged into the back of the Ultrahub returns 85mbs download and 21mbs upload. That is poor and the wireless speed is appallingly bad. I know from previous posts that the Ultrahub was awaiting a firmware upgrade. Has that happened? Why are my speeds so very, very poor? A friend less than a klm away in the same town is with Orcon and has download speeds of 800mbs, so what gives Vodafone? At least supply the level of service, 200mbs, that I have contracted for and am paying for, or explain why I should not switch to a provider that can deliver?

Thank you in (hopeful) anticipation.

Chris

Contributor

Re: Ultrahub and wireless speeds

Message 2 of 6 (579 Views)

You really do have to wonder why anyone bothers to visit this "community" when it seems no-one can be a***d to reply. 

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 3 of 6 (149 Views)

For a start Wi-Fi is out of the carriers control and it's shared bandwidth with all other Wi-Fi users around you

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Contributor

Message 4 of 6 (146 Views)

Hi John, if that is the case it is at the very least disingenuous of Vodafone to advertise, and charge for, higher speeds if it can just wash its hands when those speeds are not delivered, by stating it is out of their control.

Or am i missing soimething here?

Chris

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 5 of 6 (141 Views)

You are 100% missing the point! Speed is advertised ' Up to '

Wi-Fi is shared bandbidth with all other Access points around you and is dependant on many factors out of the carriers control

Some reading for you below to understand better

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8728

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 6 of 6 (122 Views)

I have read, and understood , that piece before. My point at the time (and it was last year) was that much was made of the "beamforming" capability of the Ultrahub and the speeds which "could' be achieved on the 5ghz band. Then prices the services at some giddy (well to us) theoretical maximum which can't be delivered.

I still get less than 100 mbs download but I have learned to live with it.

Have a nice day.

Chris

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 38w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors