Two sims for one number? Also why is fibre so slow

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Two sims for one number? Also why is fibre so slow

by JimmyLiu Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (1,060 Views)

I live in Auckland, and have tested my connection directly with a lan cable. I have unlimited fibre 100 and it's terrible, 10 mbps download and 20 mbps upload. 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7584831637

Also can you have two sims on one number? I would like to use a sim for an ipad with data only while having another sim for my phone

Starter Poster

Re: Two sims for one number? Also why is fibre so slow

Message 2 of 8 (1,030 Views)

God, does vodafone support even exist? 

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 3 of 8 (1,028 Views)

@JimmyLiu wrote:

I live in Auckland, and have tested my connection directly with a lan cable. I have unlimited fibre 100 and it's terrible, 10 mbps download and 20 mbps upload. 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7584831637

Also can you have two sims on one number? I would like to use a sim for an ipad with data only while having another sim for my phone

These are two separate questions would be best to create two seperate threads.

Q1)

-How many devices do you have connected to your Local Network? Perhaps one is running something which is saturating your bandwith.

-Have you tried with another device? Perhaps the device you are using does not have a great NIC.

-Has speed always been this slow or has it recently got slow?

-I am certain this will be something in the setup in how you have things setup locally as you will not get issues of  slow speed like this on fibre generally unless it is something in the local network. If it was a Vodafone or wider area network issue, we would know and it would not just be impacting you. Note, it will not be a provisioning issue either as there is no 10D/20U plan.

Q2)

-No you can't have two SIM's with the same number. But if you are only going to be using the second SIM for data only, why does it matter what the phone number on it is? You would not be using it for calls / SMS so the phone number assigned is irrelevant. If you're on a Red mobile plan, you can get a data sharing SIM to share the data allowance from your main mobile number plan.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 8 (1,000 Views)

I have tested this with just one device and that is the speed essentially. The speed has always been this slow as well. I can't see how this is a problem with my set up, its very simple, we have two people at home and its connected directly to the router.

Business Ninja Adept

Message 5 of 8 (915 Views)

@JimmyLiu wrote:

I have tested this with just one device and that is the speed essentially. The speed has always been this slow as well. I can't see how this is a problem with my set up, its very simple, we have two people at home and its connected directly to the router.

So can you test with another device (directly via Ethernet to Modem) then please?

Business Ninja Adept

Message 6 of 8 (914 Views)

@sebastianbd wrote:

@JimmyLiu wrote:

So can you test with another device (directly via Ethernet to Modem) then please?

Also swap out the ethernet cable and try with another one please Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 7 of 8 (984 Views)
Is that test over WiFi or LAN cable?
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 8 of 8 (982 Views)

@coffeebaron wrote:
Is that test over WiFi or LAN cable?

he said it's connected directly to the router so I guess he means ethernet.

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 47w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors