The reason for adhoc disconnections to Fibrex network discovered

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

The reason for adhoc disconnections to Fibrex network discovered

by BruceFreedancerFoley Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (1,331 Views)

Hi.

Since the intorduction of Fibrex it appears there have been quite a number of customers complaining about random disconnections. Since upgrading my old cable plan to fibrex I too encountered this issue and it is deeply frustrating.

But fortunately I made a significant discoverey tonight relating to the exact scenario that is causing these disconnections and would like to share it with the wider audience. I also think this should be passed on to the Vodafone Tech team for further investigation and hopefully a solution.

Over time I became pretty certain the disconnections were not load/capacity or time related. There was a specific scenario that I was not picking up on that was causing the disconnections and I've finally figured out what it is. In my specific case, if I am connected to a VPN on one PC and then access the internet on another PC or device -then generate UDP traffic (eg Gaming; streaming videos etc) I will lose connection with uncanny consistency -and the only way to get it back is to power cycle the modem.

Knowing this is the scenario that causes the disconnections I at least have a partial work-around. The basic rule is this. If you connect to a VPN on one machine, make sure you do it on all other active devices as well. From within the VPN, you can stream to your hearts content and no disconnections will occur, even if you are connected to multiple vpns from different machines.

I think I have been specific enough for Vodafone to replicate this scenario for themselves. I suspect some sort of VLan configuration setting within their nettwork configuration is responsible for this limitation. Note that my solution is only partial. A gaming console cannot connect to a VPN nor would you want to for performance reasons. Personally, I think this should be a solvable issue now that I've identified it.

Retired Staff

Re: The reason for adhoc disconnections to Fibrex network discovered

by Retired Staff MikeHales Retired Staff
Message 2 of 4 (1,303 Views)

@BruceFreedancerFoley

Thanks for sharing that info, will certainly ask the network teams to look into what can be done on our side.

Cheers

Product Owner AI & Automated Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 4 (1,279 Views)

Thanks.

Since making this discovery I have not suffered a single disconnection, simply by keeping all my internet traffic within VPN streams.

I am therefore 99.9% certain that I have indeed discovered the exact scenario that is causing the fault. It sure is a nice feeling knowing that my connection is not going to randomly drop now that I know how to avoid it, but for sure I would love a full solution, so I'll be keeping an ear out for any updates you might have on this issue Smiley Happy

cheers

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 4 (1,213 Views)

FYI as a Vodafone tech has contacted me about my findings I thought I'd go ahead and try to force another failure based on the scenario outlined in my first post. It took me about 15-20 minutes to cause it to drop.

There really is no question in my mind that a VPN combined with UDP/Streaming traffic outside the VPN at the very least, seriously exacerbates the underlying problem.

cheers

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors