Slow wireless download speed

Starter Poster

Slow wireless download speed

by hurrellg Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (302 Views)

I have recently been moved from ADSL to wireless and expected the speeds to be significantly higher as promoted by VF (Super fast according to the website).  However, I am only getting 1 - 4 Mbps download during daytime/evening and up to 32 Mbps after midnight until about 7am.   I was previously getting about 5 - 10 Mbps typically on ADSL regardless of the time of day. 

Since I like to be sleeping around midnight the fast speeds are not much use to me and at the times I need to use the internet the speeds are pathetic.

I live in the Lyttelton Harbour area and I can virtually see the tower from home and get a high signal level.  What is going on here? Is the demand so high that the cell cannot cope with it? I have tried all the usual things like resetting the router etc.

GH

Senior Contributor

Re: Slow wireless download speed

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 4 (295 Views)

Has the wireless modem got good signal strength? Did you put it in the same location as the ADSL modem was?

You may want to optimise the position of the modem for good mobile coverage to ensure it keeps latched onto the best cellsite during those peak times. The modem will show you signal strength.

Starter Poster

by hurrellg Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (285 Views)

Thanks for the tips.  However, the modem has good signal because all three status lights are on and the modem is in the same place as the old ADSL one was.  It seems that the speeds I am seeing are related to the loading on the cell tower since there is good speed when most people would be sleeping and less when the internet usage is high during the day.  Maybe the problem exisits because there are very few towers in the area, only 2 LTE ones that I know of.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 4 (262 Views)

Peak time congestion you have proven this by testing early hours of the morning

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 13w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors