Scam e-mails and mail forwarding

Tig
Starter Poster

Scam e-mails and mail forwarding

by Tig Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (87 Views)

Hi, I've receieved a couple of e-mails today which fit the pattern of the current "Sextortion scam" on the Netsafe website. 

They were sent to my old ihug e-mail address but somehow have ended up in my current inbox. I've tested sending a message to my old ihug address and it's bounced back as I would have expected given that Vodafone's mail forwarding has ended.

My computer is running all of the latest Win10 patches and anti-virus is up to date with no scan issues. My new e-mail address does not come up on the "Have I been Pwned" website.   

The message headers both indicate the it's travelled via Vodafone's severs. So my question is how have the messages got to me if mail forwarding has ended? 

New Poster

Re: Scam e-mails and mail forwarding

by TonyMcGeady New Poster
Message 2 of 4 (63 Views)

Same here...  once again a VODA screw up I’m sure, 3 different ihug email addresses in the house all getting the same scam email, Russian IP address spoofing email address, but using Vodafone servers to forward

Posted from Apple iPad
Tig
Starter Poster

by Tig Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (56 Views)

As I'm not the only one, it looks like an issue Vodafone need to fix. I've now received another scam message, that's 3 in 24 hours to a dead e-mail address forwarded by Vodafone's servers.

It was pretty annoying when the "mail forwarding for as long as you remain a customer" service ended after only a couple of years but to have it still somehow working in the background and accessable for scam purposes is just slack.

If it's a vunerability in the SMTP server setup then at least delete all of the mail forwainding settings linking old addresses to new ones.  

Vodafone, please fix this ASAP!  

Starter Poster

by Jaxbruce Starter Poster
Message 4 of 4 (46 Views)

Received the same email myself this morning.  Cery ditressing.  What can be done by Vodafone?

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors