STRANGLED BANDWIDTH

Starter Poster

STRANGLED BANDWIDTH

[ Edited ]
by aotearoa Starter Poster
Message 1 of 14 (234 Views)

Hi Ninja,

I have a VDSL connection and on a good day, outside of peak hours, I can achieve almost 30 Mb/s download speeds. Unfortunately, when every other bugger gets home around 6.00 PM and is watching streaming content, my VDSL download speed can drop as low as 0.5 Mb/s. At this speed, even loading graphic-heavy websites can take half a minute, streaming would be impossible. Is there anything I can do to plead a case for more bandwidth in our area, or do we just have to put up with this 3rd world standard of broadband delivery? I live on the edge of the city so unfortunately, it could be years before fibre comes down my road. Although it goes right past the entrance to my street, because the CEO of Northpower (who lay the cables) lives along the highway.. Cheers

Retired Staff

Re: STRANGLED BANDWIDTH

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 14 (230 Views)
Is this over Wi-Fi or Ethernet? Something does not sound right it's not a bandwidth issue but something else
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 14 (227 Views)

That's not my experience of being VDSL unfortunately. Performance is unpredictable. I have northpower fibre at work with broadband delivered by SPark at 100Mb/s!!

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 14 (219 Views)

My PC is connected to the Vodafone ADSL router by ethernet. I'm considering switching to mobile broadband as we have good cell coverage here and my phone is achieving 15 Mb/s on 3G right now 

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 5 of 14 (229 Views)
Approx where are you located? I am connected to North power but on fibre and VodafoneNZ have shed loads of capacity over the network
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 14 (226 Views)

I'm at the end of Millington Road. The fibre goes past the end of the street along SH14. It's now 8.40 PM and download is still around 0.5 Mb/s. :-(

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 14 (221 Views)

@aotearoa  Fibre going past the end of the street means nothing as this will be back bone fibre

Are you testing over Wi-Fi or Ethernet and what are the xDSL line stats in the modem reporting? VDSL should slow down very little at peak time

@coffeebaronAre you aware of this area and why VDSL would slow down soooo much peak time?

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 14 (213 Views)

Vodafone HG659 router stats. PC connected to the router via ethernet cable

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBmV):
Downstream output power (dBmV):
Downstream interleave depth:
None
DSL up time:
0 days 2 hours 24 minutes 15 seconds
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 9 of 14 (210 Views)

@aotearoa  Also include the xDSL line stats in the post on geekzone this should be an interesting thread for the Chorus team to check out

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 10 of 14 (211 Views)

@aotearoa  Just thought about this more you are on xDSL so connected to the Chorus NZ network over copper

Go over to www.geekzone.co.nz and start a thread about this in the VodafoneNZ section and do @ChorusNZ and good chance they will comment

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40

Stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 8w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors