Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

Business Ninja Adept

Re: Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 11 of 17 (1,111 Views)

This issue is clearly related to the SIM Card you are using. - If the old SIM is still working, then your connection has not been swapped over to the new SIM card yet.. (Your connection can only be active on any one SIM at any time).

Either, if the old SIM works in your new modem, then you can use that yes fine. Otherwise if your old SIM does not work in your new modem- just call customer service and request them to SIM Swap your connection onto the new SIM number which you have received.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

by countrygrrl Starter Poster
Message 12 of 17 (1,101 Views)
You’re absolutely correct. I know because we borrowed a neighbours B315 router to test the connection from here just out of curiosity. We got 1-2 bars on cyan light not connected to the Yagi. When connected we got solid 3 bars. My complaint now is WHY I this advice was omitted from my package. EG. Why was I not advised in the package to contact “a” specific number to get the connection end of things sorted. I’ve taken SIM out Gawd knows how many times and the centre piece (micro SIM) has broken away from the larger one. On top of that I worked by process of elimination and tried re inputting the PIN several times after reading why no connection in the manual. One of which mention not being actually connected at Vodafone end.

After 3 attempts I had to enter a PUK code and guess what! The SIM card supplied does NOT have my PUK code even on it. I packaging with SIM card just whizzed in the box with the router. I understand the PUK code is meant to be on packaging for SIM.

I am not happy that something so simple has led to DAYS of my time as if my time is not prescious around here!! Are customers meant to GUESS they need to get a SIM swap??? And when I ring to actually DO this your friendly staff from overseas were clueless and tried to give me my old PUK code. One woman hung up on me because I became frustrated at one point. Why is the PUK Code not recorded in MyVodafone’?

I believe it’s a wrong PIN myself because I was told it should be working out of the box and did almost half an hour of trouble shooting with staff. Not one of them said what you have said!!!!

People waste their own time stressing over this stuff. Your staff dispatching these routers need a kick in the pants if they are not putting PINS in correctly , logging PUK CODES on package contents and advising customers to connect and then simply ring to get their other connection cut! Ridiculous! I’ll just guess what I need to do and it’s fine if I spend three days messing!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Business Ninja Adept

Message 13 of 17 (1,099 Views)
Your issue in the first instance was not related to a SIM PIN.

As I mentioned, your connection can only be allocated to one SIM at a time, hence, if your OLD SIM is still working / active, then your NEW SIM will not work, until someone at Vodafone, does a SIM SWAP to allocate your connection to the new SIM Card.

Now, whilst troubleshooting you have tried entering a SIM PIN incorrectly more than 3 times, PUK locking the SIM.

RBI SIM’s are different from normal SIMs, and do not come with any preconfigured PIN set, and no PUK code on the packaging, as there is no need for a RBI subscriber to use a SIM PIN.

Now, to sort out your issue;

1) As your old SIM is still working, can you try insert that into your NEW modem, see if it works. If it does, then happy days. You don’t need to do anything more and start using your new modem.

2) if the old SIM does not work in the NEW modem (entirely possible as RBI SIM’s are TAC Locked to certain IMEI ranges), then you will need to use THE NEW SIM or A NEW SIM which is TAC locked to the new routers IMEI range.

3) if you want to unlock your NEW PUK locked SIM, you will need the PUK code. Sounds like Customer Services can’t find it in the CRM, and also hence why it’s not available to view in MyVodafone. — I will be able to retrieve the PUK code from another database myself for you.

4) it sounds as though you have damaged your NEW SIM card. If it’s damaged beyond the point of use, then we’ll need to send you another NEW SIM.

— to resolve this —: if your OLD SIM, does not work in the new modem, AND your new SIM, IS in working order ( not too damaged to be inserted correctly), Click on my username, and send me a private message with your : RBI account Number, Name, DOB, Address, AND NEW SIM card number, and a contact number. I will then provide you the PUK Code, and perform the SIM Swap for you.

this —: if your OLD SIM, does not work in the new modem, AND your new SIM, IS too damaged to work, Click on my username, and send me a private message with your : RBI account Number, Name, DOB, Address, and a contact number. I will then Courier you a NEW RBI SIM, and contact you to do the SIM Swap once you have received it.

Sorry to hear about the poor service experience you’ve had. No excuses for how you’ve been given the run around, but let’s get this sorted for you.

Thanks.
Posted from Apple iPhone
New Poster

by wjr77 New Poster
Message 14 of 17 (924 Views)

Hi,

You mentioned they sent you a new modem.

Who did you conatct about this?

I have a B315 that has been struck by lighting and the external antenna function is not working.

I have checked the antenna with another so the Yagi is not the problem.

Also measured the signal from the Yagi on a Spectrum Analyzer  - it's showing -51dbm.

The performance is low working on the internal ant.

I as live on a remote Island I would apprecite just being sent a new modem to swap over.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Business Ninja Adept

Message 15 of 17 (921 Views)

@wjr77 wrote:

Hi,

You mentioned they sent you a new modem.

Who did you conatct about this?

I have a B315 that has been struck by lighting and the external antenna function is not working.

I have checked the antenna with another so the Yagi is not the problem.

Also measured the signal from the Yagi on a Spectrum Analyzer  - it's showing -51dbm.

The performance is low working on the internal ant.

I as live on a remote Island I would apprecite just being sent a new modem to swap over.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Mobile Tech Support on 0800-921-021 should be able to sort you out a replacement router.

Thanks

Sebastian

Starter Poster

Message 16 of 17 (833 Views)
Hi,

Sorry it’s tajen so long to reply. Have not been checking my email accounts of late. No doubt you’ve sorted the issue. However for future or others reading this thread, I went into the Vodafone store and swapped my modem for another one. It worked as soon as I switched. They said in the store that the other modem sent to me had a faulty SIM. I actually felt that person responsible for sending me the modem in the first place sent me one with an I activated SIM to be honest. Person dealing on the phone was not very helpful at all when I rang to upgrade and in frustration I got irate. I think it was a deliberate sending of a modem that would not work but that’s just my opinion. If I ever need another modem I’ll be going into my local store then they can open and check the SIM works in front of me for that reason.

I didn’t need another aerial externally. We simply jacked the one lead into one of the ports on the back of the new modem and it boosted the signal. I DO think the signal would be much faster when connected to two ports, and do not know if such is available via vodafone. To be perfectly honest, we prefer to fit anything new ourselves as we did no have the best experience when our aerial was fitted. We had to situate the aerial on the roof AND pull the coaxial cable out and straighten it as it had been forcefully pulled down the wall by the technician who fitted it and had a huge kink in it. When he’s fitted it, he tested the connection and it was extremely slow and kept disconnecting frequently or we were dropped a lot. He stated that would be the best he could get for us, and left. I spent a LOT of time on the phone with staff in the days after first getting a connection with staff stating that we were in a blind spot and probably out of range. I just got excuse after excuse. In the end before we gave up my husband literally got on the roof, moved the antennae to the end of our roof (as far over as possible to get a better signal), straightened the cable, re dropped it down the wall, and sat on the roof moving the antennae whilst I tested from inside on our PC until we got a good signal.

Unfortunately if you are not technical or cannot easily climb a roof, you NEED to insist on the technician coming back out if they have tested BEFORE fitting, and then fit things and the connection is suddenly slow. That’s because even one kink in a glacial cable will slow signal.

I was not best pleased with having to refit ourselves or the technicians attitude after fitting and not getting us a goos signal but he was an idiot anyway and on turning up insisted that the cable needed to come down the outside of our home, and he routed under the floor and up through the floor into our office. That in itself involved more cable, extra charges and more damned kinks due to tacks and bends to guide it around in areas he proposed. I told him it wasn’t going on the outside of my home for security reasons and that it went through the wall or he could walk.

In our home we literally have a walk space above the ceiling not a crawl space. It would entail less work pulling down the wall than placing outside and I put my foot down. It was done, but he was in a strop doing it and I feel pissed if so forced the cable through. Don’t let technicians push you around with junk excuses just to rack the charges up for more cable. That is my advice.

Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 17 of 17 (832 Views)
Correction: Coaxial not glacial.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors