Power outages and voice over broadband phones

Starter Poster

Power outages and voice over broadband phones

by LawrenceEllenSommerville Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (515 Views)

The information we've received about voice over broadband suggests we use a mobile when there's a power outage.  That will last for about a day (two days if we only use one of our mobiles at a time).  How do we keep in touch with the outside world after that? 

And - how long can cellphone towers continue to function on battery power?

We are over 70, live in a rural area and, in an emergency, our landline is our contact with family and emergency services.

Highlighted
Expert Contributor

Re: Power outages and voice over broadband phones

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (513 Views)

Hi @LawrenceEllenSommerville Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

While I can't answer how long the towers last on Battery Power I can say that often generators will be deployed to a site.

Hope this helps. Hopefully somone else can add more to this. I myself am curious to know.

Business Ninja Adept

Re: Power outages and voice over broadband phones

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 3 of 3 (490 Views)
No two sites will have the same battery life situation. It Depends from site to site on a lot of factors

Eg:
- Battery Age
- Battery capacity installed
- What technologies are deployed on the site (the more technologies deployed, the more load drawn from the batteries)

Generally speaking, batteries at sites can last between 3-12 hours.

We (obviously) actively monitor all elements of the network and act accordingly. In case of an power outages we will lock down technologies on the site, leaving just essential tech, to reduce the draw on the batteries and elongate the battery run time..

Note: some sites also have permanent generators deployed on site in case of power outages , also, we may deploy generators to sites (depending on the priority / importantance of the site)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Posted from Apple iPhone
Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 45w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors