No Unlimited Rural Broadband!

Starter Poster

No Unlimited Rural Broadband!

by TipunaRakatairi Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (1,224 Views)

I've been on Rural broadband with Vodafone for about 2 years now and its been great, the speed is good and i don't have many disconnecting issues but i always find myself running out of data. I'm currently on 120gb and i can easily go through that in a week or two and the price jump up to 200gb is a bit steep and even then 200gb isnt enough for me. There's 4 in our family and I use the most out of everyone one. I usually game quite a bit and to download games these days it can be about 40-60gb for 1 game! I just want to be able to download games and watch netflix without having to worry about how much data is left. 

Is there a way i can get Unlimited Rural broadband or is there at least plans for it soon?? 

I know that i can buy more data for $20 for 15gb but thats that pilling on the bill, I'd rather just pay more money upfront for Unlimited and not have to worry about my usage. We're in 2018, Unlimited should be available everywhere.

I've also checked normal unlimited broadband and we're in range for it but only ADSL and i feel like our download speed would drop a lot, as we've tried this before 2 years ago and we were on about 500mbps. 

Thank you

Business Ninja Adept

Re: No Unlimited Rural Broadband!

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 4 (1,211 Views)
There is no Unlimited data cap plan for RBI at this stage unfortunately. As I’m sure you’re aware, RBI is delivered by mobile network not fixed network, and there a different costs/ capacity planning involved..

As always, and I’m sure you can appreciate that staff cannot comment on future offerings before they are made public Smiley Happy.

Also, I think you’re mistaken in saying you were on 500mbps on ADSL! ADSL is not capable of 500mbps. 500mbps is an... awesome speed. (For reference, *Fibre* plans start at 30mbps - down and go up to 1gbps down.).

In most cases, if you’re in an RBI coverage area, the speeds from RBI would be much better than ADSL speeds in your area. That’s why RBI is in that area.
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Posted from Apple iPhone
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by TipunaRakatairi Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (1,176 Views)

Thanks for the reply, sorry it wasn't 500mbps, i was supposed to put 500kbps. I had that speed about 2 years ago though and it was through spark. You guys are much better.

ADSL is in my area so how much slower do you reckon it would be if i switched to it?

My speeds at the moment are:

Download: 39.81Mbps

Upload: 18.91Mbps

Ping: 40ms

I find these speeds very good and i know they will drop if i switch to ADSL, but i'd much prefer a slower speed and unlimited data as long as it can still load a video without buffering and i can game without lag issues.

Thank you very much for your time.

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 4 (1,169 Views)

Good Morning, 

As it's the same physical copper line (owned by Chorus) servicing you, regardless of wether you're with Vodafone or Spark, or anyone else for that matter. Unfortunately, if you moved to ADSL, the speeds would likely be the same as what you had before on ADSL. Unless, Chorus have made some upgrade on the exchange you're connected back to.. 

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors