Needing Wake On Lan functionality.

Frequent Poster

Needing Wake On Lan functionality.

[ Edited ]
by Frequent Poster Axle_Grease Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 3 (574 Views)

I am wanting to access a PC remotely from my mobile phone using TeamvViewer.  However, I don't want to leave my PC on all day to use this software.  Hence the need for Wake on Lan functionality..   I've had a fixed IP from 2002 until the move in 2017, but the IP address was not transfered nor a new one given when I moved to this residence.

The documentation says I require a public address which can be either a fixed IP or a DNS name vwith the help of a dynamic DNS provider..  Is there any way to do this without an extra cost involved?

My account type is FibreX  (900dl/100ul) here in Christchurch.

Starter Poster

Re: Needing Wake On Lan functionality.

by IanCox Starter Poster
Message 2 of 3 (538 Views)

Hi,

I also do the same here so what you want to look for is a Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS). I got rid of the vodafone ultra hub and replaced it with an Asus unit that has this service biult into the router.

All I have to do then is input my DDNS name as the address and the router ports it through to the machine I wish to view.

Cheers

Ian

Frequent Poster

Re: Needing Wake On Lan functionality.

[ Edited ]
by Frequent Poster Axle_Grease Frequent Poster
Message 3 of 3 (533 Views)

Interesting.  I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS, but unfortunately Linksys only have a PAID subscription based DDNS for security cameras.  I'll look into getting an Asus router with inbuilt DDNS if VodafoneNZ has nothing to offer.  I miss having a fixed IP.  (Dammit, Vodafone!  Why did you take it away???)   BTW, do you notice any slowdown in throughput when using that service?

Thanks for your help, Ian.

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 35w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors