Legalities of ADSL v Rural Broadband

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Legalities of ADSL v Rural Broadband

by TamsinClementWatson Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (598 Views)

Hi there

Can anybody tell me please why it is illegal for Vodafone to provide me with Rural Broadband because, they say, I can get ADSL at my house.  Vodafone currently provides ADSL to my property, however, it is incredibly slow (5MB download).  I also don't have very good cell phone coverage (not enough to make a phone call, just enough to send a txt if I stand in the corner of my kitchen with my head pressed up against the window).  Whilst, yes, ADSL is 'available' it's not really working in any capacity which warrants paying $100.00 a month for it.  I'd rather put that into Rural Broadband which they've told me is not allowed legally.  Please can somebody advise.  I run a business and can't work from home due to this. Many thanks.

Staff

Re: Legalities of ADSL v Rural Broadband

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 2 of 8 (587 Views)

Is your address within the coverage maps area.

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/rural/

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 8 (504 Views)

Hi there

It's hard to tell; I put the address in and the Flag/Pinpoint comes up with my address on a blank screen.  How do I read the result?  Under the map it does say but I am unsure whether it is telling me I can have it or whether this is just a guide???

Rural coverage map details

3G Aerial – You are in Vodafone 3G coverage. A technician is required to install an aerial and setup your Rural Broadband service.

4G Aerial – You are in Vodafone 4G coverage. A technician is required to install an aerial and setup your 4G Rural Broadband service.

4G PnP – “4G Plug and Play” means you are within very good or excellent Vodafone 4G coverage. Just call Telesales on 0508 008 888 or visit your local Vodafone Retail store, to purchase a superfast 4G modem and just plug and play. No installation required.

Please note:  The above map is indicative only and intended to provide general guidance on where rural broadband coverage is available.  Please call us to check what is available at your specific address.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 8 (566 Views)
What part of the country are you?
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 8 (506 Views)

Hi there - I am in Hunua.  I have had a message from Vodafone asking me to check whether I am in 'zone' for their Rural Broadband but I can't understand the result I'm getting; it doesn't seem to tell me much.  I have hit reply to their message but it's a 'No Reply' email so unsure how to answer them.  Thanks.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 8 (500 Views)

Have looked on a Map of availability across to NZ and doesn't look good - result is:

I do only get 5Mbps as well.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 7 of 8 (478 Views)
I have recently done some work getting another customer up and running in Hunua. Feel free to message me here or email to coffeebaron at geekzonemail dot com with some contact details and I can check some options for you. Fraser
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 8 of 8 (437 Views)

Can confirm there are plenty of RBI connections in and around Hunua, I've dealt with plenty myself.

Unsure where this legality statement came from I'm a bit confused by this myself.

We have two wireless 4G (sometimes only 3G but only if serving tower hasn't been upgraded) products which essentially are the same:

RBI which yes for certain reasons we can't sell as a product within major urban centres. So long as the address is in the RBI coverage map however you're good to go - you'll notice urban areas like Auckland city/suburbia don't 'show' RBI coverage. RBI may require an installation of a yagi for added signal depending on distance from the serving cell site.

The other option is Home Wirelss Broadband (and calling optional extra) which is using the same device (Currenly the B525 modem) but plug and play (no yagi install needed). There are some variences in price and data bundles but I don't know these off the top of my head. This is meant for urban areas and will work so long as you have good indoor coverage.

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 25w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors