I appear to throttled.

Starter Poster

I appear to throttled.

by JohnPalmer Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (97 Views)

I have been in contact with the team 3 times in the last week regarding my very consistent up and download speeds on adsl copper.

Tech came today and "reset" at the exchange. Everything else checked out OK. I was advised and have done a reset of the modem. Speeds are still super consistant. 7 - 7.4 mbps download and .9 - 1 mbps upload.

I get these same speeds at 4 in the morning and at anyother time I check including 8pm.

They are the same any day of the week.

They are the same when I check using my cell phone or the Cat 6 cable connected PC.

One of the Vodafone people said we should be able to get up to 15mbps in our dodgy area (Cornwallis).

7mbps works ok for us most of the time but I object to paying for unlimited broardband and then have it obviously limited somehow. Any idea what next?

JP

Retired Staff

Re: I appear to throttled.

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 4 (85 Views)
You need to look at the xDSL modem stats and also put your address into the Chorus NZ address checker

If your house wiring after the ETP is poor this will always slow down xDSL connections.

If you are on naked broadband aka no home line phone number then make sure you have no line filters between modem and telephone jack points
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

by JohnPalmer Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (48 Views)

Hi Johnr

Not sure what you mean regarding modem stats? Vodafone have sent me a new one saying it should fix the issue. It didn't. I still get the same perfect (7.3DL/1UL) speeds no matter what time I check including 3am.

Chorus checker says I'm on the best plan - ADSL (Cornwallis, Auck)

House has good cabling but I will attempt to move the modem to the point of entry to exclude that as a possibility. Cat5 from modem to PC and mobile phone gets the same speed a PC so issue is not between the modem and PC.

We have a phone line as well. One big filter at the point of entry - all joints soldered.

I still think it must be the exchange thats limiting/capping/throttling the speed - its just way to consistant.

Vodafone have told me that we should see speeds up to 15mbps in ideal conditions. I would always expect to see slower speeds in the evening but no, just the same as 3 in the morning.

Very sus!

Cheers for your response

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 4 (39 Views)

@JohnPalmer  They sent you are new modem for this issue LOL (Picture me slapping my forehead)

Your connection is 110% not throttled

It's working as it should even the ChorusNZ address checker showed thisI suspect you are on a Conklin cabinet (poor you)

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=220283

ADSL is up to max speed of just over 7Mbp/s

ADSL2+ is up to max 24Mbp/s

VDSL2+ is up to almost 100Mbp/s

With xDSL connections over copper the further you are from the serving hardware Cabinet / exchange the speed will drop off not like Fibre

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors