Huawei B525 4G 'router' - Port 1701

Highlighted
Contributor

Huawei B525 4G 'router' - Port 1701

by Contributor Pristle Contributor
Message 1 of 6 (104 Views)

I'm assisting a client move providers. Vodafone have kindly supplied a new Huawei B525 4G Router, which is intended to replacie and existing B315 unit.  Whilst I can copy most 'virtual server' settings across from the old unit I cannot create an entry to forward Port 1701 for L2TP.

This function of this unit is intended to be merely a 4G modem providing passthrough, as there is a more robust and secure router/firewall internal to this device for VPN functions. The VPN 'function without the B525 is not required, but I sense this is what is preventing the forwarding of that specific port.

How can I create the portforward or passthrough I require? Or do I just keep the existing B315 in play.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Huawei B525 4G 'router' - Port 1701

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 6 (100 Views)

That port is reserved by the B525 for its own L2TP function. It says you can't forward that port when you try to add it.

As it also doesn't run in Bridge mode, so you'll need to remain on the B315.

There is no real difference otherwise with the modems other that the 5ghz wifi added on the B525.

However the newer Vodafone modem that replaces the B525 - the B818 - does do bridge mode at least, but it too wont allow that port forward.

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 6 (94 Views)

That's a nuisance. So there isn't a CLI override?

The wi-fi and bridging aspects are immaterial, as wi-fi is disabled. As I say it's merely a passthrough gateway for 4G access. As they're peri-urban in South Auckland, neither fibre nor VDSL are options. ADSL is rated at sub 1mbps.

Perhaps I should send the unit bacl to Vodafone and request a credit against services in lieu of the modem not being required.

EDIT: Having said all that, it maybe moot as I note I can set IPSec port 4500, which should suffice. So Port 1701 might not be an issue. I'll know later when I try get it all installed.

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 4 of 6 (92 Views)

Grrr....

Looks like this unit might go back after all. Static IP.

While the client presently enjoys a free static address with another provider (which uses the Vodafone 4G network), Vodafone apparently won't issue them on non fixed connections. No clue why not. Particularly if ther wholesale clients can.

Anyone?

The static IP is required for various services, the aforementioned VPN, mail server, etc. etc.

Come on Vodafone.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (90 Views)

What you get in the menu is all you get with these modems (no hidden admin or CLI)

I dont think they can issue static on mobile even if the want to - the function is not built into the Vodafone retail product

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 6 (85 Views)

There's the rub.

I don't see why it cannot be offered on rural or peri-urban connections for static addresses. If there was any other option for a fast connection other than 4G, business customers in these areas would gladly opt for it.

If their wholesale customers can do it, why not?

EDIT: Farmside, Netspeed are two such customers.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 4w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors