How do I setup an HG659 as an Access Point with an Ultra Hub?

Starter Poster

How do I setup an HG659 as an Access Point with an Ultra Hub?

by duja Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (3,228 Views)

Hi all,

I have an Ultra Hub which im wanting to connect through a D-Link DHP-P309AV to an old HG659 in another room in my house. Will the HG659 run as an access point and is this the correct term?

My main aim is to increase WIFI strength in a dead part of the house. A WIFI extender isnt strong or reliable enough.

Currently I have tested the Ultra Hub through the DHP-P309AV so I know that side of things is ok. Im getting caught up with the setup of the HG659.

How do I go about making this setup work?

Thanks in advance.

New Poster

Re: How do I setup an HG659 as an Access Point with an Ultra Hub?

by Larry2 New Poster
Message 2 of 4 (3,174 Views)

There's a couple of ways you can do this,

option 1

Which is probably the best is to login to the HG659 and change its LAN ip to match that of your local area network for example 192.168.1.100, disable its dhcp and plug a direct cable from its lan 1 port to your router assigning your local dhcp, it'll then handshake and your dhcp router will assign ips and route internet to any devices that connect to the hg659

option 2

Login to HG659 and go to internet/wan settings and disable its vlan tagging option or set to 0,

plug a cable from its wan socket to your DHCP router.  it'll then pick up a dynamic ip from your router as a WAN IP,

This may seem like the easier option but your HG659 will view this like an internet source and will need to have its own DHCP server operating making a double NAT enviroment and will also be acting behind its own fire walls.

Starter Poster

by duja Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (867 Views)

Hi Larry,

Ive tried both methods and I cant get it to work. Is there an Admin login that I need to use to change these settings?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by -craig- Starter Poster
Message 4 of 4 (110 Views)

Not sure on the answer as to why it wouldn't work for you, but to answer the Admin login part in case anyone else is looking at this thread

Old Firmware

Username: Admin

Password: VF-NZhg659

Newer Firmware

Login: Admin   (case sensative - make sure you have the upper case A)

Password: @ and the last eight digits of the modem serial number. e.g. @05001625

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors