High ping when trying to connect to work remotely

Highlighted
Starter Poster

High ping when trying to connect to work remotely

by LeeCoker Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (303 Views)

I'm consistently getting a high ping on the Vodafone network. I'm based in Auckland and my other colleagues that aren't on Vodafone aren't experiencing the same issue.

See below/attached my Traceroutetracert.jpg. Can anyone help?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: High ping when trying to connect to work remotely

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (297 Views)

Look where the high ping time starts. It is at yorur router (192.168.1.1)

So your LAN side is the issue. It is very slow from your device to the router. From the router to the rest of the internet is ok.

so something or some device on your internal network is clogging things up. Could something else be hammering the internet?

Restart the router and disconnect all but one PC and see.

Also, if you are connecting to your work over a VPN connection, disconnect the VPN or work device and try another device by itself and see. Sometimes its the work VPN that is running slow..

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 5 (294 Views)

Sorry that is probably not a great example. 99.99% of the time the issue starts at 10.200.12.159

See below when I ran the test again which is typical of all the previous Trace routes I have run.TraceRT 2.jpg

Highlighted
Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 4 of 5 (285 Views)

As mentioned your lan has highish responce times but also double natting. First hop is 192.168.86.1 then 192.168.1.1.  Is there any way to put 192.168.86.1 into bridge mode or attach directly to 192.168.1.1

In saying that going to the USA before Australia could be resolved. Will see what can be done about this.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 5 (279 Views)

Hi, Thank you for your help.

I'm running a Google Wifi mesh setup, my understanding is that you can't put the first Google Wifi into bridge mode and have mesh.

In any case, I disconnected the Google Wifi mesh setup and connected then ran two more Trace Routes. The first one is with my laptop connected directly (via ethernet) into the Vodafone router/modem and the second is connecting directly to the Vodafone router/modem via Wifi.

In both cases, it improves slightly but still very poor results with ping around 280msWired.jpgWifi direct.png

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 15w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors