Fibre max

Highlighted
GJ
Starter Poster

Fibre max

by GJ Starter Poster
Message 1 of 13 (352 Views)

I recently upgraded to fibre max. What a nightmare. Its been nearly 3 weeks and I keep having to call a ninja to get my speed above 200 Mbps. 3 times I have called and the same thing happens. I measure the speed using Ookla just before I make the call. It sits around the 180 - 200. I make the call and the ninja puts me on hold and while I am on hold the speed miraculously goes above 400. The ninja then advises they have not done anything. The speed stays above 400 for a few days then suddenly drops down to 200 again and stays there. The second time this happend they said I had a faulty hub so they sent me a new one. Once again the speed was above 400 for a few days and yesterday it dropped back down again and has stayed below 200.This morning I checked the speed before calling a ninja and it was 183. When the ninja put me on hold to check something once again it miraculously went to 440. Once again the ninja said he hadnt done anything.. 

Does anyone have any sort of explanation for this please?

Retired Staff

Re: Fibre max

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 13 (350 Views)

@GJ  Are you testing over Wi-Fi or Ethernet and where are you testing to?

I would say the issue is 100% not Vodafone but your side of things check out the 100s of threads on Geekzone.co.nz about the same topic! Even an older CPU on a PC could be the issue

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
GJ
Starter Poster

by GJ Starter Poster
Message 3 of 13 (347 Views)

Thanks. I am using a modern laptop with a cat6 ethernet cable. I have 2 laptops I test on and get similar results. When the connection is working fine I get above 400 on WIFI as well. I connect using Ookla to the Vodafone Wellington server. Surely a problem with my Laptop or cable would not suudenly come good while I am on the phone to a ninja 3 times or over a 2 week period?

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 13 (345 Views)

Depends on  the spec of the laptop! But pop over to  geekzone review some of the many threads and how the issues were resolved

Edit: saying you are using a modern laptop means nothing at all

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
GJ
Starter Poster

by GJ Starter Poster
Message 5 of 13 (315 Views)

Well have had a look at geekzone which hasn't helped me. I am lloking for an answer that will tell me why I can get speeds of over 440 Mbps download for days and then it suddenly drops to under 200 and stays under 200. Using the same hardware and software on 2 different devices the results are similar. When I ring Vodafone they put me on hold for a few minutes and then miraculously the speed goes up to over 400 again when tested on both devices. I do not change anything on my devices and Vodafone say they haven't done anything but talk to their supervisor. The speed will remain over 400 for a few days then it drops down again and I am back to calling Vodafone. I am looking for a logical explanation please. I cannot understand how this can possibly be a fault with the setup at my end. Thanks.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 13 (302 Views)
Did you start a thread on geekzone and have you tried a different PC?
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
GJ
Starter Poster

by GJ Starter Poster
Message 7 of 13 (294 Views)
I am in no way technically qualified to be regarded as a geek so have not started a thread on geek zone. Yes I have tried 2 different pc’s and the results are similar every time the issue occurs. I was hoping to use this Vodafone community to get an explanation from a current Vodafone staff member to give me an explanation. Thanks
Posted from Apple iPhone
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 8 of 13 (292 Views)

Any answer would be a guess no one on the end of a forum could give you 100% correct answer they would need to be at your setup

Regular Contributor

by Regular Contributor MrMorm Regular Contributor
Message 9 of 13 (286 Views)

Fibre doesn't get low speeds. If it is 1Gbbit fibre (fibre max) then thats what it can do.

Its not like DSL speeds where the copper line conditions can vary the speed (sync rate)

The issue will be in your internal network setup. Try a single PC cabled to the modem with wifi turned off. Your PC shouldn't be running lots of things loading it up - if your computer is running under load (70%+ CPU) then the speedtest will go slow.

Also try the Speedtest.net desktop app rather than your internet browser, or use Chrome browser, or fast.com for testing.

As an alternate, connect your PCs to ethernet and also  phones on 5ghz wifi and speedtest them all at once and add the results together and see.

GJ
Starter Poster

by GJ Starter Poster
Message 10 of 13 (280 Views)

I am obviously not explaining myself very well. I will use some examples for the Ookla app history.

17/09 at 08:50 download speed 199.33

17/09 at 09:33 download speed 171.02

17/09 at 09:39 called Vodafone. They put me on hold while they investigated.

17/09 at 09:42 while still on talking to Vodafone download speed now changed to 416.77. Vodafone advise they didn't do anything.

Download speed remains around the 400 sped till 09:57 when it drops below 200 and stays there.

17/09 16:05 download speed  136.36. Called Vodafone. When I was put on hold while they investigated I measured the speed again 

17/09 16.09 download speed 135.31. while still on hold while they "talked to their supervisor" I measured again.

17/09 16:10 download speed increases to 339.16 then stays above 360 for the rest of the day. Once again Vodafone advised they didn't do anything.

24/09 09.41 download speed back down to 180-200 consistently.

25/09 10.16 download speed 183.4

25/09 13.13 called Vodafone and put on hold while they investigated.

25/09 13.18 measured again after giving Vodafone a few minutes to "talk to the supervisor" Download speed now 440.41.Once again Vodafone advised they didn't do anything. Speed stayed around 400 for the rest of the day.

26/09 16.40 Download speed now back down to around 200.

My setup doesn't change during these tests. How can my setup be causing this please when the only thing that changes is that I call Vodafone and the speed miraculously comes good when they talk to their supervisor?

Stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 11w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors