Fibre Max - slow wifi

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Fibre Max - slow wifi

by MichaelGordonHarris Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (272 Views)

Hi

I have just got the fibre max installed and on my PC with an ethernet cable am getting great speeds of 457mps.

On the wifi 5.0 I'm getting speeds of 187mps from a distance on 1m.

On the wifi 2.4 I'm getting speeds of 43mps from a distance on 1m.

This is disappointing and doesn't seem right. I've been sent a replacement modem and the speeds remain the same (except my phone service doesn't work on the new modem).

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Michael

Retired Staff

Re: Fibre Max - slow wifi

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 8 (258 Views)
Wi-Fi is not a replacement for Ethernet also make sure when testing over Ethernet you are using the windows speedtest App not via web browser!

Over on geekzone.co.nz check out the number of threads customers with the same issue and 99% of them related to customers network
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 8 (251 Views)

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.

I kind of feel you were being patronising when you stated "Wi-Fi is not a replacement for Ethernet". If you are implying the wifi will always have less speed, I think even I know that. But my last modem gave me a max of 100 mps and the wifi upstairs was 30mps ie almost the same speed as I'm now getting 1m away from the new modem. My point being is that in the 21st century it's the wifi speeds that are important and a new service should be better than the old.

Second, interesting comment about measuring speeds. The chorus and vodafone experts all advised me to test the speeds through the web browser using Oklaa which is what I did. So are they uninfromed idiots? If you say yes I'm willing to believe you considering the dreadful service they provide on the "unhelpful" desk.

Will check out geekzone to see if anyone else is having the same experience. I was hoping someone could say this is poor for fibremax. I think you are saying it's cool and I'm getting a good service. Good to see you are still loyal to your ex employer.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 8 (242 Views)

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel that is in use?

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 8 (235 Views)

Hi John

Thank you so much for this reply. The vodafone ninjas didn't suggest this and I thought Auto was the best choice.

I changed it to channel 10 and got speeds of download 191mps and upload 207mps. Fantastic results.

I kind of wonder what the purpose of auto is?

Thanks again.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 8 (228 Views)

Oops, please ignore my previous post. My phone automatically changed to the 5gHz channel without me realising.

Changing the channel on the 24gHz channel has not helped this problem. Most download speeds on different channels were about the same as before at 42 mbps, sometimes much slower.

Makes me feel like I should have never upgraded (oops I mean downgraded) my service to fibre max.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 8 (226 Views)
If you are getting much higher speeds over Ethernet then the issue is not Fibre max

I would try a few different channels on the Wi-Fi and speeds should always be faster on the 5Ghz but the coverage footprint is smaller due to the higher frequency
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 8 (203 Views)

Hi John

Thanks for your help. I now realise that that it is working as intended. I found the following excellent artice:

http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/28739/~/find-your-expected-wi-fi-speed

Each device on wifi has a maximum capacity and this article with the help from your routers' Client Monitoring screen informs you whether each device is getting the appropriate speed. My iphone is getting the maximum speed possible as it turns out.

This is the kind of thing it would have been nice to be directed by the Vodafone help desk, as opposed to being told it's the fridge causing problems (the fridge was 30 metres away). I guess this is why Vodafone service is considered be one of the worst in NZ.

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors