Capped Rural Broadband and awful Speed

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Capped Rural Broadband and awful Speed

[ Edited ]
by Jos1969 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (188 Views)

Hi guys, 

I'm a user in South Auckland subscribed to Vodafone rural broadband and phone (aerial on the roof, modem with SIM card, etc). This has been working fairly well since the beginning of the year. The speed wasn't super fast - around 5 - 12 Mbps, but it was fast enough for us. 

Last month, however, we got an email saying that our broadband speed was going to be capped from the 26th of August onward to clear the way for streaming of the Rugby World Cup. And that everyone's speed on the wireless network would be capped at 30 Mbps. See the link below which details the changes.

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/trafficmanagement/

I was worried when I read this - and it turns out to be with good reason. Ever since about the 28th of August, it seems like our speed has been throttled, even though we never got 30 Mbps to begin with. During the day we might get between 1-2 Mbps if we are lucky. It is to the point now where in the evening we are lucky to get over 0.50 Mbps. It's like using dialup. It is pretty much unusable and so frustrating!

I do not think this is fair. Plus, I thought Spark had the rights to the rugby? What does it have to do with Vodafone? IMO we don't have the internet architecture in NZ to handle the load. It should have been broadcast by Sky or terrestrial TV, but that's another matter.

I just want my bandwidth back so we can surf at a decent speed. I can't even watch YouTube videos without it starting and stopping. 

Retired Staff

Re: Capped Rural Broadband and awful Speed

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 9 (175 Views)
What speed do you get around 4am? Good chance you are asleep at 4am but might be worth waking up and testing
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 9 (172 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

I ran a couple of tests at Speedtest.net on August 31st between 1.30am and 2am and they were 5.83 and 4.85 Mbps respectively. 

Also, our upload speeds always appear to be many times faster. I did a test right now (8am) and download speed was 0.44 Mbps (yes, really) and upload was 6.99 Mbps. Smiley Sad

Second Test at 8:06am now - Down: 0.91 Mbps and Up: 5.66 Mbps

Highlighted
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 9 (169 Views)

@Jos1969  If I was you I would start a thread on Geekzone and see if many others are having the same issue since the 28th

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 9 (167 Views)

I did, but it seems to have petered out to nothing - 

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40&topicid=252975

I did a screencap there of some of my speeds before and after the 26th, also.

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 9 (165 Views)

@Jos1969  Do @JasonParis are you aware of any issues? On Geekzone

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 9 (136 Views)

@Jos1969  Now you can email the CEO direct so it can be looked into

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 9 (122 Views)

Thanks so much!

I just got home from work, so only replying now. 

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 9 of 9 (119 Views)
jason (dot) paris (at) vodafone (dot) com
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors