Can I get clarification about VOIP and how it relates to the Vodafone landline services

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Can I get clarification about VOIP and how it relates to the Vodafone landline services

by normancates Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (195 Views)

I found out quite by chance that the current Vodafone plans with landline will switch you over to a VOIP phone connection.

This wa just before I told the sales person to pull the trigger, so I noped out.

I am very annoyed that their plan descriptions don't mention this little fact, untill you drill down a few layers of information to find it.

My core annoyance was that my current phone line would just stop working. And I would have had no warning at all. 

And the next one was that I would have to buy all new IP phones, which would be the better part of $250.

But I was noodling around looking at the VOIP setup and say the sockets on the routers.

And they look like standard phone sockets.

Do I have the wrong end of the stick here? They are talking about VOIP (actually they say Voice over Broadband).

So I took this to mean new phones with a RJ45  network connection or similar. To translate from full IP networking to VOIP.

BUT, is that all done in the router/modem? So that the port that comes out of the router is just a standard phone port, and acts just like a standard phone port and you can just plug your phone in there?

Have I translated forward to VOIP, when it's not quite that.

I expressed all this to the support people, and no one told me I was wrong, and that it's just a standard phone port. And standard phones will plug in.

-------------

In a related question, can I just plug the Vodafone router into the cable modem bix I have, and disable everything to do with WiFi, networking etc. So the only thing left is the Voice over Broadband connection.

Because I replaced the VF router that came with my plan a long time ago with a router that works better and has better features.

And I don't want to use it, except for VOIP.

Thanks,
Norman

Retired Staff

Re: Can I get clarification about VOIP and how it relates to the Vodafone landline services

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 8 (183 Views)
Why do you need to buy IP phones? Your understanding of VoIP is not good at all

My parents are on fibre so the home line is delivered over the Access Point / RGW and they are using bog standard phone/s and don't notice any difference from when home line was delivered over copper / pots

You need to do more reading up and understand VoIP does not mean new phones or things working differently
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Re: Can I get clarification about VOIP and how it relates to the Vodafone landline services

Message 3 of 8 (152 Views)

There are specific VOIP phones that you can buy, that connect to an IP network. Like we have at my work here. And friends of mine have at their houses.

And so that's been my only experience with VOIP.

And I remind you that I expressed this to Vodafone tech support, and they did NOT correct me.

So how about you get off your high horse.

I was asking a legitimate question and trying to gain understanding.

I grant you that I have not done deep research into it, but if you search for voip or voip phone you get a lot of information that all looks a lot like this.

https://www.nextiva.com/blog/what-is-a-voip-phone.html

Which says you need a VOIP phone or some kind of server (not for a house of course).

So no, its not obvious from the Vodafone documentation that it translates from VOIP to standard phone lines.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 8 (182 Views)
Further to this the Vodafone supplied ultra hub works fantastic as an access point and supports 1Gb connections over Ethernet really well
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 8 (150 Views)

I don't have the Ultra Hub.

I'm on cable, so it was Fibre X, and now renamed to Ultrafast HFC 

I was given the white rounded one when they switched from the Technicolor cable modem/ router combo to the separate Cable modem and white router/wifi unit. I think it's the Huawei HG659. But don't have it in front of me right now. 

At the time, the time the HG659 did not have bridge mode. I already had an Apple Airport wireless network that was working far better than the HG659.

The HG659 was flakey and unreliable. At least, it seemed to be the component that needed resetting a couple of times a week. The cable modem also locked up ocasionally.

This was reiterated on the forums by a reasonable number of people.

So I took the opportunty to replace it with an Edgerouter X. Which I will grant you is at the very edge of my technical knowledge... Staying with a more "user freindly" device would have been my preference.

But I replaced the HG659 and the unreliability problems went away.

Might be coincidence or a well timed firmware update. Don't know.

Never the less, I've never been given the chance to use the Ultra Hub.

So don't make assumptions about what tech I may or may not have.

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster BlakeNZ Regular Poster
Message 6 of 8 (140 Views)

If you disable VLAN 10 on the WAN of the HG659, you can plug it into the LAN of your new network and use it just for phone

Regular Poster

[ Edited ]
by Regular Poster BlakeNZ Regular Poster
Message 7 of 8 (133 Views)

I ran out of time to edit my above post,

But basically the way ISP's in NZ have chosen to deliver VoIP phone service is by ATA (Analog telephone adapter) built into the router or ONT.

Behind the scenes, it uses SIP technology the same way as IP phones do, but for security and support reasons you're required to use their equipment for phone.

To add to the above, You would connect the blue WAN port of your HG659 to your LAN, you can also disable wifi on the HG659, all the HG659 will be functioning as is your phone adapter, no other of your network traffic will be passing through it

More info: https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40&topicid=198107&page_no=3#1595908 

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 8 (121 Views)

Thank you so much.

I think I did find your post on the geekzone forums so I'm going to try it.

As a side note, I have a cable modem with two WAN ports on it. First WAN port has my Edge router plugged into it.

I've tried plugging the WAN port of the HG659 into the second port.

It appears to pick up a WAN side IP address...

I assume this will not work? Or open me up to a world of hurt?

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 9w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors