Adding a secondary IP (on ultra hub) - USB modem

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Adding a secondary IP (on ultra hub) - USB modem

by NotSure Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (297 Views)

We are considering moving to Vodafone fibre. However, we need more than 1 IP address. Vodafone have suggested that the 4G failover modem (combined with DDNS) would solve this issue, but I have concerns that the 4G network is not available UNLESS the fibre network fails. Is that a fair appraisal? If so, is it possible to add a USB modem to the ultra hub so that a second network is available (as can be done with Draytek Vigor 2760 for instance) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJH2gryuQ10

Starter Poster

Re: Adding a secondary IP (on ultra hub) - USB modem

by mrrosh Starter Poster
Message 2 of 9 (293 Views)
whats is your ultimate goal with regards to getting the secondary ip address, what will it be used for?
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 9 (292 Views)

We have mulitple servers and for testing purposes want to place some within one network and some within another without having to purchase a second fibre connection for the tiny volume of traffic we expect one of those networks to deal with - basically all connections on port 80 or port 25, for instance, need to be directed to one server for one domain and to another for a different domain. 

Starter Poster

by mrrosh Starter Poster
Message 4 of 9 (290 Views)
in simple terms, you can't achieve with usb modem/4g network connection, due to 1) 3g/4G data connection gets a diff public ip address at each connection. 2) getting a static ip from 4g is near impossible 3) port forwarding on cellular networks is not possible.
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 9 (289 Views)

I disagree with that and it is not what I asked. Because of our particular needs and using dynamic DNS we would not need the second IP to be static (even if we would prefer that). The port forwarding would take place at the router/modem. My question is not if this is possible. My question is if the Vodafone Ultra Hub modem supports the addition of a 4g USB modem as per the example provided (showing the Vigor modem doing just that and not as a failover, but as a secondary, routable connection).

Starter Poster

by mrrosh Starter Poster
Message 6 of 9 (286 Views)
which vodafone modem do u have? huawei hg659, huawei hg65b, or ultrahub. I know ulrahub with 4g comes with a 4g built in but only works in a backup mode. u could give it a try.
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 9 (280 Views)

@mrrosh  The HG659b is not a Vodafone modem

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

by mrrosh Starter Poster
Message 8 of 9 (182 Views)
@NotSure, any luck or update with secondary ip
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 9 (176 Views)

Hi, as we were unable to get a satisfactory answer on this from someone with access to an Ultra Hub (without ourselves signing up to a two year contract to get a modem to test the solution with), we have gone with another provider. 

Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 10w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors