READ ME: General battery saving tips for Android

Retired Staff

READ ME: General battery saving tips for Android

[ Edited ]
by NikT Retired Staff
Message 1 of 8 (7,864 Views)

Hi folks,

If the battery life on your Android device could be better, here's a few general tips that may help. The following list was compiled with Android 4.0+ in mind, but may prove useful for older (or even future) versions of the operating system.

• Turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, Location, and other services (e.g. Samsung's Air Gesture, Air View, & Smart Scroll) when not in use

• If your device has a power saving mode, turn this on - this may reduce CPU speed and make the device a little slower, so remember to turn it off again when no longer required

• Set the display to the minimum acceptable brightness, and consider turning off auto brightness (Auto brightness may need to be turned off to adjust brightness at all, depending on model/manufacturer)

• Use a white background to save a little power on devices with LCD displays, e.g. HTC One, and a black background to save a little power on devices with OLED displays, e.g. Samsung Galaxy S devices

• Under Settings/Data Usage, you can turn off background data on a per-app basis

• Consider using a poll schedule instead of push for email accounts

• Disable sync for unneeded accounts and services, e.g. Google+, Google Newsstand, Books, Movies, Music, or Picasa Web Albums

• Disable automatic updates for apps from within the Play Store settings

• Disable search for unneeded apps & data within the Google Search app

• If your battery life has taken a dive recently, check out your most recently installed apps & see if uninstalling them helps

• Take a look under Settings>Applications>Running to see if anything is running in the background when it shouldn't be

• If you have no joy with all of the above, try backing up data & factory resetting - In addition to Google's data backup, manufacturers such as Sony and Samsung offer desktop backup software that can be used to restore data after a factory reset

If this helped, or you have any additional suggestions, please do sing out!

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Community Manager

Re: General battery saving tips for Android

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 2 of 8 (6,786 Views)

Nice!

Starter Poster

Re: General battery saving tips for Android

by Werfkjl Starter Poster
Message 3 of 8 (4,164 Views)

Great share

Starter Poster

Re: READ ME: General battery saving tips for Android

by BradPitt1 Starter Poster
Message 4 of 8 (2,811 Views)

Thank you @NikT, for sharing these awesome tips.

I never faced this issue before, But after getting new LG V30 I faced this issue. I have to fully charge my phone twice a day. But thanks god, after making some change in display settings, adjust the screen, and few more things I got some improvement in my LG V30 battery life.

Starter Poster

by henryadams Starter Poster
Message 5 of 8 (2,367 Views)

Thanks, Great Share.

Highlighted
New Poster

by Jhoneyperker New Poster
Message 6 of 8 (1,890 Views)

This is the most common problem for all. I have already fac the same few months ago, So I decide to go QuickBooks help, they provide me the solid information about this issue. If you can also have faced this issue i suggest that you also can go there for help.

Starter Poster

by Annoyed82 Starter Poster
Message 7 of 8 (180 Views)

How much of a drop in battery percentage should one reasonably expect to see if the phone is not used overnight, location is on for Google maps and Tinder only, battery saver is on, screen brightness around 40% (although if I'm not using it that shouldn't matter) and no background data running? I'm typically seeing it drop by 2-3 percentage points overnight just from sitting there in standby mode, is this sort of change reasonable?

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 8 of 8 (177 Views)

@Annoyed82110% reasonable

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5y ago
  • 11 Kudos
  • 8 Contributors