Phone settings to use Rural Connectivity Group (RCG) cellsite- 4G voice calling / VoLTE

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Phone settings to use Rural Connectivity Group (RCG) cellsite- 4G voice calling / VoLTE

by distiller Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (581 Views)

Hi

I've got a Vodafone Smart X9 which is listed by Vodafone is being VoLTE compatible but I haven't had much luck

Is there any reason why I couldn't connect to a RCG cellsite 200 metres away ? (A Spark iPhone successfully worked).  Is there a setting or special SIM that I need? (Couldn't find a VoLTE setting on the phone)

thanks

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Phone settings to use Rural Connectivity Group (RCG) cellsite- 4G voice calling / VoLTE

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 10 (576 Views)

Is the phone's firmware up to date?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Phone settings to use Rural Connectivity Group (RCG) cellsite- 4G voice calling / VoLTE

Message 3 of 10 (574 Views)

Forgot to check that recently...

Just checked now, it reports that its up to date (VFD-822_MR02b security patch level 1 May 2019)

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 10 (562 Views)

So you can't get coverage / service at all from the site? Or you have coverage / service, but can't make VoLTE calls?

Can you get 4G coverage elsewhere?

Best Regards,

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (559 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

I had no coverage/ service.  (Someone standing next to me with a spark iphone had a very solid 4G signal.) 

I've never noticed whether I've used 4G before (I'll check next time I'm in coverage).

However I had a look in the phone's setting and it was:

"Preferred network type  4G/3G/2G (auto)"

thanks

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Message 6 of 10 (556 Views)

If you private message me your mobile number I can check setup for 4G/VoLTE etc is correct.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 7 of 10 (551 Views)

I think I can see your problem, I just looked up your handset on GSM Arena: https://www.gsmarena.com/vodafone_smart_x9-9483.php

The RCG sites only do 700mhz 4G (Band 28), GSM Arena confirms your handset does not support Band 28 which given how recent your handset looks its suprising.

So unfortunately your best bet is a new phone.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 10 (545 Views)

I'm hopeful that the NZ version works on RCG because on the phone's box it says "LTE/FDD 700/900/1800/2100/2600". 

Sabastian said that 4G was not provisioned for my service, and that he has now provisioned it.  So it should work now Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Message 9 of 10 (533 Views)
@shadow depends on site to site some of the RCG sites have 4G L1800 and 3G U2100 too.

Best Regards,
Sebastian
Posted from Apple iPhone
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 10 of 10 (440 Views)

I can now confirm that my phone can make a call on an RCG cellsite (VoLTE).

Here’s a summary for anyone having problems:

• Check your phone is VoLTE capable (https://www.vodafone.co.nz/our-networks/volte/)
  • Check your phone has the latest software updates
  • Check that VoLTE is enabled in your phone settings (in the case of the VF Smart X9, there is no specific VoLTE setting)
  • Check that 4G is enabled in your phone’s settings
  • Check with Vodafone that your SIM is enabled for VoLTE (this was the issue in my case)
  • Some, but not all, RCG sites have UMTS (3G) too. So your non-VoLTE phone may only work on some RCG sites.
  • On a Vodafone Smart X9, to get info about signal strength and network type (3G or 4G) try Settings→System→About Phone →Status→Sim Status

Thanks again to Sebastian for sorting out my problem

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 12w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors