Android 9.0 update for Samsung S8

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Android 9.0 update for Samsung S8

by DocSpock Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (480 Views)

Hi,

I'm not getting any Android 9.0 update via OTA updates yet according to this thread:

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Android/S8-S8-Android-9-Pie-Update/m-p/224785  

It should have been available long ago?  

Any reason it keeps telling me I'm up to date then- currently stuck on 8.0.0  - bit concerned I'm not getting any updates including security now. 

Thanks,

Retired Staff

Re: Android 9.0 update for Samsung S8

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 9 (455 Views)

@DocSpock  Where did you obtain your handset from, Is it an official VodafoneNZ purchased S8?

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 9 (441 Views)

@johnr 

I originally bought the phone from 2degrees but switched over to vodafone in May this year.  

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 9 (439 Views)
Android updates are not related to the SIM card in use in the handset

So once 2degrees approve the update then it's over to Samsung Korea to push it out
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 9 (435 Views)

Which brings me back to my original question ...

If I'm now on Vodafone and when I check for an update I would guess it's checking something on vodafones end for an OTA update?  

Should that not see I'm on 8.0 and provide me with an update then?  

Or is there a setting I'm missing so that it's all related to vodafone instead of my old provider?  

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 9 (433 Views)
No please read my post above again

The handset update needs to be approved by 2degrees and then Samsung Korea needs to push out the update!

Zero to do with VodafoneNZ in anyway
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 9 (430 Views)
Lots of helpful information over on Sam mobile or Geekzone so you can understand the update process for Android handsets!
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 9 (421 Views)

OK so if I' understanding this correctly ...

The phone we buy effectively gets a firmware accosicated to the carrier we purchase it frmo even though the phone is not locked to that provider?  

Then updates need to be approved by that provider that then gets sent back to the manufacturer to release?  

So in a simple sene then ...

Even though I'm on Vodafone my phone would be contacting 2degrees and asking "hey do you have any updates for me"? 

The strange part of this is that I have a friend with the exact same model phone, purchased on 2degrees and they are still with 2degrees and they got the update months ago so it seems it has been released by 2degrees.  

So I just can't really understand why my phone would be failing to get any updates at all.

Starter Poster

Message 9 of 9 (418 Views)

@johnr  

Sorry - wanted to edit my reply but it wont let me.

I've done a bit more research and it seems then that perhaps my phone's CSC and the servicep rovider version it is reporting is incorrect and this is preventing me getting updates (as it could neverm atch a higher version of the service provider version as it won't match any service proivder version):

CSC shows as G950FOXM1CRAP and my friends version matches the start of G950FTNZ that matches up on sam mobile site.

My service provider version looks really strange SM-G950F_OXM_XEU_OO_0015 and XEU/XEU/NZC which is what has me thinking that it has possibly had a different version of android flashed on to it than what matched my carrier?  

I did have my phoen in for repair earlier this year and it had a lot of parts replaced so could this have all been caused by something the repairer has done? They were an authorized samsung repair company too and it was through insurance so not one of the "mall" repair jobs.  

Just trying to find the easiest way to get my phone back to it's correct state so I can get OTA updates again and avoid having to manually flash firmware if possible.

Thanks.

Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 23w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors