iMessage activation issues

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

iMessage activation issues

by wayne_p Starter Poster
Message 1 of 25 (1,046 Views)
I have just received a $60 bill for international texts.

Apparently my iPhone has been sending a text several times a day to activate iMessage and FaceTime.

I have deactivated both services from my settings menu but it still brings up the menu every few hours asking to send the sms to which I reply no.

How can I activate iMessage and FaceTime once and for all so that I don’t have to pay for international activation texts and the annoying pop up goes away.

This has only started happening since I received the new iOS 11.4 update.

Maybe it’s time to move to spark to stop this as the help desk basically told me it was my problem or I need to speak to Apple.

Posted from Apple iPhone
Expert Contributor

Re: iMessage activation issues

[ Edited ]
by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 2 of 25 (1,043 Views)

Interesting,

I just changed my number yesterday and I tried to reactivate imessage on my new number and it fails it just keeps saying ''waiting for activation''  I thought there must be an issue with apples servers.

So far it's cost me $2.04 excluding gst. I am going to see if apple will compensate me as this is something at their end.If I were you I'd defently turn off imessage and facetime till apple resolve the issue. I know vodafone wont refund this. What they should do is make +447786205094 free  to text. that way it wont cost customers anything to activate.

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 25 (1,035 Views)

@wayne_p wrote:

Maybe it’s time to move to spark to stop this as the help desk basically told me it was my problem or I need to speak to Apple.

That wont really help your situation, Spark also charge for international SMS and they are unlikely to refund international texts.

Posted from Apple iPad
Regular Contributor Sam
Regular Contributor

by Regular Contributor Sam Regular Contributor
Message 4 of 25 (1,013 Views)

@Christopher- If you've just changed your number, you'll have to wait until the SMS routing tables used by Apple's SMS vendor catch up/update with your new MSISDN. (Also check that Settings > Phone > My Number is correct.)

Unfortunately just a waiting game!

Expert Contributor

Message 5 of 25 (1,005 Views)

@Sam wrote:

@Christopher- If you've just changed your number, you'll have to wait until the SMS routing tables used by Apple's SMS vendor catch up/update with your new MSISDN. (Also check that Settings > Phone > My Number is correct.)

Unfortunately just a waiting game!

I changed my MSISDN on friday. I I have updated my MSISDN in  Settings > Phone > My Number.

what do you mean Apples routing tables? your saying that if people change numbers or insert a sim with a different number they wont be able to activate imessage instantly? 

Regular Contributor Sam
Regular Contributor

Message 6 of 25 (998 Views)

Apple's SMS vendor (to be pedantic as it's not Apple directly IIRC), but yes to your second question, unless you try deactivating iMessage and FaceTime prior to changing out numbers/carriers. 

In essence, as I understand it, the routing tables tell 'what' to go 'where'. In this instance it's not something any service provider has any control over.

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 25 (994 Views)

I wish I had known this before I changed my number. I didn't see it would be important to Deregister imessage and I have been speaking to apple support and they told me you can have 2 numbers registered with imessage at a time.

I have even ereased all content and settings on my device and setup as new phone. So this must be why apple say it can take upto 24 hours to activate imessage. I suppose it will still update even though I have now turned off imessage for the time being as I don't wait to pay for text after text while it trys to activate.

Regular Contributor Sam
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 25 (987 Views)

Yes, just a waiting game at this point sadly.

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 9 of 25 (981 Views)

I'm not convinced this is the case for @Christopher

I know what his new MSISDN is and I have checked and know that it has never been ported to another carrier.

Hence Apples (various) SMS Vendors routing tables should be pointing towards Vodafone NZ natively as it has never been ported to another carrier and is from a standard VodafoneNZ MSISDN range.

@ChristopherI suggest you escalate this with Apple, ensure a case is logged and let me know if you need any support from Vodafone end.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Regular Contributor Sam
Regular Contributor

Message 10 of 25 (978 Views)

My mistake; I interpreted it as Christopher having ported his number over!

Apologies Christopher - had led you up the garden path so to speak.

Stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 18w ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors