The New Apple Watch Lte

New Poster

The New Apple Watch Lte

[ Edited ]
by crackles3 New Poster
Message 1 of 21 (6,410 Views)

Will the new apple watch lte be supported by vodafone?

Posted from Apple iPad
Contributor

Re: The New Apple Watch Lte

by Contributor AndyE Contributor
Message 2 of 21 (6,375 Views)

Apple don't sell the watch here, which suggests that the required technology and/or plans are not available on any of the three networks.

Question for someone from Vodafone - does your network have the capability to support the Apple Watch series 3?

Worth noting that Apple have been clear that if you buy a watch in one country, don't expect it to work in another.  Appears to be mostly around the LTE bands that are implemented on the watch.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 3 of 21 (6,366 Views)

Looks like it runs 4G and 3G - bands supported by the watch - however as the phone shares a number with a phone, more than simply technology match up. If/when we hear, then you'll be sure to know.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Contributor

by Contributor AndyE Contributor
Message 4 of 21 (6,360 Views)

Yea - runs most of the bands in use in NZ.

Interesting to see that in Aus, Vodafone support "coming later this year".

The sharing of the number is what I was really getting at with my earlier post.  Many carriers globally allow this (for a small charge). Does Vodafone NZ plan to do that too?

Or perhaps the proposed IPO of Voda NZ going to mean we see new features such as this more slowly again?

Visual voicemail anyone?? Smiley Frustrated

Starter Poster

by michaelemery Starter Poster
Message 5 of 21 (6,021 Views)

MikeHales wrote:

Looks like it runs 4G and 3G - bands supported by the watch - however as the phone shares a number with a phone, more than simply technology match up. If/when we hear, then you'll be sure to know.

As far as I understand from other tech forums, the issue is that most of the Vodafone Group do not support the technology required for sharing a single phone number across multiple devices. Vodafone currently assigns new numbers to each additional device on your plan, even for data-only connections. That's not a very elegant soution, but it has worked just fine — until now.

Some non-Vodafone operators in Australia do have the appropriate technology, but Apple have stated that the LTE watch will also be available on Vodafone Australia later this year. This indicates that Vodafone Australia are working to implement the appropriate technology before 2018. They also stated that "other" operators will follow next year. Unfortunately that does not necessarily include Vodafone New Zealand.

Vodafone promised us that Visual Voicemail was "coming in the near future" — that was nearly a decade ago. Using other Vodafone groups as an indicator, I have higher hopes that Vodafone New Zealand will deliver on an LTE Apple Watch. I just wish we could have them this side of Christmas.

C'mon Vodafone NZ, if the Ozzies can do it, so can we!

Starter Poster

by puns1973 Starter Poster
Message 6 of 21 (1,746 Views)
No point. Vodafone doesn’t care... so sad!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 7 of 21 (1,709 Views)

@puns1973

I wouldn't say "Vodafone doesn't care", we've moved forwards with so many technologies. To say that on the basis of these 2 techs is a bit harsh.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
New Poster

[ Edited ]
by Acidwash New Poster
Message 8 of 21 (1,340 Views)

Can Vodafone NZ please give any indication if the LTE Watch will be supported this year? And if so by which Quarter?

I can’t speak for others but I’m personally holding out buying an Apple Watch until LTE is available. Please don’t let this turn into a “visual voicemail” nightmare scenario.

Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by puns1973 Starter Poster
Message 9 of 21 (1,707 Views)
Sorry for sounding harsh. Frustrated is better way to say it. Most accidents on road happen due to mobile phones. With a watch, mobile phone can be left at home and yet one can be reachable. Watch esim is the future. Spark is offering it. Vodafone AU is offering it. Will be quitting Vodafone soon to switch to Samsung 😭
Posted from Apple iPhone
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 10 of 21 (1,689 Views)

So if a cellphone can cause car accidents so can a watch it's the same distraction only difference is it's wearable.

Stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 40w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 9 Contributors