Random calls

Starter Poster

Random calls

by Lauren_w Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (413 Views)
I have been getting random calls both international and New Zealand calls for a few months now and I’m wondering how can I stop it? It is very annoying!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Expert Contributor

Re: Random calls

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 2 of 10 (411 Views)

@Lauren_w wrote:
I have been getting random calls both international and New Zealand calls for a few months now and I’m wondering how can I stop it? It is very annoying!

Are they in chinese?

or are they speaking english telling you you have a virus on your computer?

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 10 (409 Views)
I never answer them. Some leave voice messages too. Some calls come up as from Hong Kong (China) Australia, Wellington, New Zealand, London.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Expert Contributor

Message 4 of 10 (397 Views)

The voice mails have you checked them? Are they in chinese cause I have been getting calls from 027 mobiles they sound like recordings in Chinese 

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (395 Views)
Don’t really know. Don’t think so as it sounds pre-recorded. They say something like “you are the only one at this conference”
Posted from Apple iPhone
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 6 of 10 (360 Views)

@Lauren_w@Christopher

Hi.

Not sure if these calls are coming to your landline or mobile (or both)

Theres another post where people are experianceing the same thing

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Mobile-services/Barrage-of-unsolicited-scam-calls-from-Internatio...

I mentioned there of an app you can get for your mobile called : WideProtect Spam Call Blocker

You do need to buy the app (I think it was between $4-$5 NZD) but unlike other apps its a one time payment as opposed to being a subscription.

You also might need an internet connection either from wifi or mobile data so it checks against a spam caller database when a call comes in but the nice thing is this app allows for blocking numbers using wildcards.

There are other apps out there but from what I see most have a subscription based payment scheme (which I dont like) and dont seem to allow for adding numbers using a wildcard format. They all seem to need an internet connection.

I alos have found Panasonic have landline phones out now that also allow you to block these numbers. You need Caller ID activated on your account for it to work.

I ahd some the other week and called 777 so they could investigate and look at blocking numbers at their end. Seems to of worked so far.

Expert Contributor

Message 7 of 10 (358 Views)

don't have a landline. they are coming to my mobile telephone.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 8 of 10 (352 Views)

@Christopher

Yeah, Thats what I had the other week. All stopped now.

Have a look at that app. Its on the Apple store and would say its on the Android one as well.

There are other apps like TrueCaller and Hiya bu like I said they seem to be subscription based and dont have the alibity to have a wildcard entry. They also seem to need access to your contacts (which is fair enough to allow legit callers through) BUT I did read that a few of these apps also upload your contacts to the apps database overseas to create a "whitelist" of numbers.

I'm not sure if that still happens however.

Starter Poster

Message 9 of 10 (335 Views)
The calls are only coming from my Mobil
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 10 of 10 (334 Views)
The calls are only coming from my Mobile. Thanks
Posted from Apple iPhone