New iPhone on the way - set up requirements?

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

New iPhone on the way - set up requirements?

by yvonneb Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (577 Views)

I pre ordered an iPhone 7 from the Apple store and it's due to be delivered tomorrow - what do I need to do to set it up? Do I just transfer my SIM from my iPhone 5 in to it and it'll take everything from my old phone to the new one? Or will I need to go into a Vodafone store?

Accepted Solutions
Staff

Re: New iPhone on the way - set up requirements?

by Staff sams Staff
Message 2 of 5 (1,033 Views)

Hi @yvonneb

Exciting news, I can't wait for mine!

Since you've currently got an iPhone 5, your SIM is the right size for the iPhone 7, so no worries there, just switch it.

In terms of your data, easiest way I find is to iCloud backup on your old iPhone (Settings > iCloud > Backup) then on your new phone when you go through the setup process out of the box, it will give you an option to restore from iCloud backup. 

You'll need to be on WiFi to complete, this, and if your WiFi tends to be slow, you could be better off backing up and restoring from a computer with itunes. 

Also, something I found out yesterday when restoring, make sure your iPhone 5 is updated to iOS 10 today, as the new phone will have iOS 10, and the restore won't work, if the backup if from iOS 9 or below.

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author yvonneb
‎16-09-2016 10:57 PM

All Replies
Staff

by Staff sams Staff
Message 2 of 5 (1,034 Views)

Hi @yvonneb

Exciting news, I can't wait for mine!

Since you've currently got an iPhone 5, your SIM is the right size for the iPhone 7, so no worries there, just switch it.

In terms of your data, easiest way I find is to iCloud backup on your old iPhone (Settings > iCloud > Backup) then on your new phone when you go through the setup process out of the box, it will give you an option to restore from iCloud backup. 

You'll need to be on WiFi to complete, this, and if your WiFi tends to be slow, you could be better off backing up and restoring from a computer with itunes. 

Also, something I found out yesterday when restoring, make sure your iPhone 5 is updated to iOS 10 today, as the new phone will have iOS 10, and the restore won't work, if the backup if from iOS 9 or below.

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Solution
Accepted by topic author yvonneb
‎16-09-2016 10:57 PM
Starter Poster

by yvonneb Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (554 Views)

Ooh, great tip, thanks! I was hesistant to update as I've heard there are a few bugs that need to be ironed out, but I'll be sure to do it before I swap phones.

Thanks again!

Starter Poster

by Puneet Starter Poster
Message 4 of 5 (495 Views)
I ordered i phone 7 plus and it suppose to come today thats what i been told from call center and today what they telling me its gone come in nov.i am not the coustomer who order so late i pre order on 10/9/16 and it was saying on web site when I ordered that u guys have the limited stock for this and its available i want to know why u guys do that your coustomer. If u dont have phone and it wont come why u guys mislead any one i need my answer please
Posted from Apple iPhone
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 5 of 5 (488 Views)

Thanks @Puneet,

I've responded to your other post.

I work in the Mobile On Account and Mobile Technical Support team. I volunteer my time on the Community.
Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 27w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today