Nokia Lumia 520 power button not working - is it wear and tear?

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 520 power button not working - is it wear and tear?

by onthevirge Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (1,888 Views)

Kia ora!  The power button on my Nokia Lumia 520 is not working - is it considered 'wear and tear' or will the phone be repaired or replaced under my warranty? The warranty is still current, I've checked. 

Also, I have set up a windows live.com account to backup text messages and media files but all my searching online says I can't see whether the messages have been backed up until the moment of truth - trying to restore them on my (old/new) phone.  Any other way to grab messages and save them in the cloud or a PC?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Ninja Master

Re: Nokia Lumia 520 power button not working - is it wear and tear?

by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 2 of 6 (2,651 Views)

This is up to the Nokia service agent to make this call not Vodafone Smiley Happy

Return handset to place of purchase with proof of purchase

Smiley Happy

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team

John Reader | Systems Engineer | Vodafone NZ | +6421323505

To ask me a question directly here on the community post @johnr so I get an email advising me

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Highlighted
Ninja Master

by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 2 of 6 (2,652 Views)

This is up to the Nokia service agent to make this call not Vodafone Smiley Happy

Return handset to place of purchase with proof of purchase

Smiley Happy

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team

John Reader | Systems Engineer | Vodafone NZ | +6421323505

To ask me a question directly here on the community post @johnr so I get an email advising me
Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 6 (1,823 Views)

Thanks, John.  Have made contact with the store and will turn the phone in to it this week. 

I am trying to convince myself that my text messages will be there to download/restore to a new phone - you can't see them in your live.com account, but I do have the right backup settings on, so in theory it should work.   In your experience, does this work in Aotearoa - are your messages restored on your new WP? 

Am wondering about purchasing a new WP, testing it out, and then sending my curernt phone in for repair if it does work... I can then return or keep the new phone, depending on the outcome?

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 4 of 6 (1,817 Views)

I have had an excellent experience using the Windows Phone text message backup functionality in the past, even when factory resetting and restoring to the same phone, so fingers crossed you will as well. Smiley Happy

The new Lumia 530 may be a good option for a replacement, although I'd expect you'd miss the dedicated camera button and double tap to wake feature!

Given the 520's buttons are part of the shell, does the power button still not work if you take the back cover off and press it directly?

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 6 (1,809 Views)

Thanks, Nik!  Good to hear it works well.

Yes, that was my first thought - was just hoping I could replace the back plate/cover and then all my power button woes would disappear but even if I push the button without the backplate on it still doesn't work very well (it will turn on maybe once out five attempts).  I've been using the camera button to wake the phone to use it, but then have to wait for the screen to close when I'm done.  Not exactly ideal Smiley Wink 

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 6 of 6 (1,803 Views)

onthevirge wrote:

Thanks, Nik!  Good to hear it works well.

Yes, that was my first thought - was just hoping I could replace the back plate/cover and then all my power button woes would disappear but even if I push the button without the backplate on it still doesn't work very well (it will turn on maybe once out five attempts).  I've been using the camera button to wake the phone to use it, but then have to wait for the screen to close when I'm done.  Not exactly ideal Smiley Wink 

That's a shame! The double tap to wake feature would be a touch more convenient than the camera button, I'd think, but power is of course a pretty core button to have out of commission. I'm sure the Nokia Care team will be able to help you out. Smiley Happy

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today