Monitoring your data use

Highlighted
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Monitoring your data use

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 1 of 3 (1,149 Views)

One of the questions that gets most asked is "how to do I track where my mobile data has gone". has the Community got any recommendations on apps (aside from My Vodafone, which gives you the total) or things that they do to help keep an eye on their data use and avoid surprises?

From my point of view, one of the things I always do on my iPhone is log out of Facebook and Twitter once I've had my fill so that they don't keep updating in the background. Likewise on my iPad (yes, yes Apple fan-boy!)

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand

Accepted Solutions
Ninja Adept

Re: Monitoring your data use

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 3 (1,405 Views)

Data Usage and where it's gone is massive - I've seen the number of queries which come of it. Which can be troublesome for our guys on the frontline to answer - after all even if there's a easy way to list common websites used etc - its not exactly infomation to give out for privacy reasons at the very least!

When it comes down to it all Smartphones are designed to use data - constantly. Even if you're not actively using your device most of the apps on your device will be downloading updates (how do you think Facebook noticications appear) unless cellular data has been disabled in the phone settings.

Fortunately our two most popular smartphones have an inbuilt data usage monitor in them already - iPhone and Samsung Galaxy. These will even break down usage to type, looking at my S4 right now in the cycle its currently recording (03/02 - 02/03) I'm seeing about 250MB used broken down to NZ Herald = 49.19MB, Chrome 19.82MB, RUA2 (some robobot unicorn game my daughter plays) = 441KB and so on Smiley Happy

And of course as you say Mike even if your device doesn't have a usage monitor there's heaps available on appstores - I used to use Onavo.

Note these usage Apps are not always 100% complete as a result may be a discrency on what you see and what the network sees - but the difference shouldn't be that significant. It can always be an eye opener seeing what some things use!

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 3 (1,406 Views)

Data Usage and where it's gone is massive - I've seen the number of queries which come of it. Which can be troublesome for our guys on the frontline to answer - after all even if there's a easy way to list common websites used etc - its not exactly infomation to give out for privacy reasons at the very least!

When it comes down to it all Smartphones are designed to use data - constantly. Even if you're not actively using your device most of the apps on your device will be downloading updates (how do you think Facebook noticications appear) unless cellular data has been disabled in the phone settings.

Fortunately our two most popular smartphones have an inbuilt data usage monitor in them already - iPhone and Samsung Galaxy. These will even break down usage to type, looking at my S4 right now in the cycle its currently recording (03/02 - 02/03) I'm seeing about 250MB used broken down to NZ Herald = 49.19MB, Chrome 19.82MB, RUA2 (some robobot unicorn game my daughter plays) = 441KB and so on Smiley Happy

And of course as you say Mike even if your device doesn't have a usage monitor there's heaps available on appstores - I used to use Onavo.

Note these usage Apps are not always 100% complete as a result may be a discrency on what you see and what the network sees - but the difference shouldn't be that significant. It can always be an eye opener seeing what some things use!

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Trusted Partner

by Trusted Partner Trusted Partner
Message 3 of 3 (1,132 Views)
Posted from Android 4.3
Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 6 Kudos