Lumia Cyan Update Schedule

Regular Poster

Re: Lumia Cyan Update Schedule

by Regular Poster ShortieWaswo Regular Poster
Message 11 of 21 (2,358 Views)

Just out of interest, what does "network approved" mean? Is that the Vodafone tick of approval?

And another question, who kicks the update off once all approvals have been meet? Is it Microsoft opening there update servers, or is it something on Vodafone's end where they initiate it?

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 12 of 21 (2,352 Views)

ShortieWaswo wrote:

Just out of interest, what does "network approved" mean? Is that the Vodafone tick of approval?

And another question, who kicks the update off once all approvals have been meet? Is it Microsoft opening there update servers, or is it something on Vodafone's end where they initiate it?

Hi @ShortieWaswo ,

Good question! Network approval is part of the software update process. There are a few steps involved:

- The hardware vendor builds new software and sends it to Vodafone for testing

- Vodafone tests the software to make sure everything is working as expected on the network

- Assuming no issues are identified, the software update is given network approval

- Following this, it goes back to the vendor for deployment on their own schedule

In the case of Windows Phone, it returns to Microsoft/Nokia/the hardware vendor to deploy it once our team has signed it off. We in the social media team receive notifications of network approval, so we can let interested folks know once we've done our bit. Exactly when software rolls out following said approval is out of our hands, but usually doesn't take too long. Our testing process generally takes a week or less.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Contributor Nez
Contributor

by Contributor Nez Contributor
Message 13 of 21 (2,270 Views)

So Vodafone is rolling out Lumia Cyan update and then the 8.1 update soon after?

Retired Staff

Message 14 of 21 (2,251 Views)

Nez wrote:

So Vodafone is rolling out Lumia Cyan update and then the 8.1 update soon after?

Hi Nez,

As outlined above, the rollout is conducted by Microsoft and Nokia, not by Vodafone - we just test the software briefly before release to make sure it works on our network. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

- Nik

Starter Poster

by BIRD_NZ Starter Poster
Message 15 of 21 (2,116 Views)

A question on the wait period for local network provider approval. How often do Voda actually see an issue and have to send back the update?

I would assume that once it has been pushed to a number of countries including OZ that it’s stable, so why add to the wait by retesting what a number of countries have tested? Seems to me there is a process here for the sake of process and perhaps not needed.

I can understand with a more network tailorable OS like Android where there a network can customise and skin the OS but Win Phone? – you don’t see this with Apple where they control their own updates

At the end of the day if I need to wait I’d like to know why and wait in the knowledge that I’m waiting for the right reasons not the wrong ones.

Cheers

Retired Staff

Message 16 of 21 (2,111 Views)

Hi @BIRD_NZ ,

The wait period for internal software testing is around a week at maximum if no bugs are found. The testing process is quite robust, and the reason this is done for our network specifically is because every network globally has unique properties and different combinations of frequencies as well as user-facing network features. If, for an entirely hypothetical example, a software update was pushed out to a phone that had been certified for HD Voice, customers would expect HD Voice to keep working - if the update meant this feature did not work any more, that's something we'd need addressed. Following the relatively brief testing period, the rest of it is up to the manufacturer and/or software provider. If bugs are found, it depends on how quickly a fix can be deployed by the vendor, although I understand this is a rare scenario.

There is certification for individual hardware components long before they're available to consumers in retail hardware, as well, which is partly why the update process doesn't take very long here in comparison to some markets. As for why vendors do take a while to send us updates for testing, or to release them OTA following network approval, I'd imagine the reasons are many and vary between manufacturers, but can't really comment further on it.

Nokia's update page is a fantastic way to help interested folks see where their updates are sitting, and we are hoping to get more visibility of this sort of process across all the devices we range in the future - although it's worth noting that 'under testing' does not necessarily dictate 'held up by the network operator' by any means. Smiley Happy

Contributor Nez
Contributor

Message 17 of 21 (2,099 Views)
Also to add to nikt's comment, apple are both the device manufacturer AND the software manufacturer so its a lot easier for them to do a release without the added variable of different device configurations. Works on the last four iPhones? Sweet, go live
Posted from Android 4.0
Starter Poster

by MaxBurke Starter Poster
Message 18 of 21 (2,042 Views)

So when can we expect the Cyan update for the Nokia 520 then? It's been listed as *UNDER TESTING* for at least the last two months, and still is tonight....  Who's slacking off, dragging the chain, just cant be bothered....

Trusted Partner

by Trusted Partner Trusted Partner
Message 19 of 21 (2,033 Views)

Hi,

No one is "dragging a chain" there is a process to follow and sometimes that process takes time.

With the 520 being the largest selling Windows (of ANY type) device, the rollout period takes a little longer.

I understand you want it now and you will get it, as everyone else has.

Any views are that of my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/mobile/
Highlighted
Contributor Nez
Contributor

Message 20 of 21 (2,935 Views)

According to the Nokia website, Lumia Cyan is now available to ALL Vodafone NZ variants including 520, 625, 820 and 925. It is also available to the country variant of the 1020 and all the Telecom variants. If you are on stock Windows Phone 8.0 you should be able to download the update very soon if you havent already been prompted.

If you are on 8.1 preview you will not be able to download the cyan update unless you roll your phone back to 8.0 first. If you do this please note that back ups between 8.0 and 8.1 are not compatible so you will only be able to restore your phone back to its last backup from when it was on 8.0 so do this at your own risk.

Those on the 930 obviously already have Cyan.

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 18 Kudos
  • 11 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today