Lumia 830

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Lumia 830

by Contributor bcom77 Contributor
Message 1 of 11 (2,218 Views)

Sorry for posting regarding a competitor's (Spark) handset but does anyone know if you can hard reset or do something similar to a Lumia 830 to get rid of that annoying Spark splash screen that appears when the phone boots up? I know it's just a minor thing but it annoys the bejesus out of me.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Staff

Re: Lumia 830

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 3 of 11 (3,589 Views)

You can reflash Lumias with open market software from other regions, as long as it's the same hardware variant - I did this with a Lumia 920 to enable 4G as Telecom still had it locked down at the time.

It's finnicky (Especially the hardware button combo necessary to get the phone into the bootloader mode) and likely warranty-voiding, though, so not something we can recommend. It is, however, possible. Smiley Happy

Gotta love those splash screens!

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 2 of 11 (2,217 Views)

I reckon @NikT probably knows a trick or two for this...

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Highlighted
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 3 of 11 (3,590 Views)

You can reflash Lumias with open market software from other regions, as long as it's the same hardware variant - I did this with a Lumia 920 to enable 4G as Telecom still had it locked down at the time.

It's finnicky (Especially the hardware button combo necessary to get the phone into the bootloader mode) and likely warranty-voiding, though, so not something we can recommend. It is, however, possible. Smiley Happy

Gotta love those splash screens!

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Trusted Partner

by Trusted Partner Trusted Partner
Message 4 of 11 (2,155 Views)

Yes this will void your 2 year warranty.

Unfortunately no "legit" way to remove this sorry.

Any views are that of my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/mobile/
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 5 of 11 (2,137 Views)
Keep in mind that the Lumia 830 has half of Band 28 missing, so no good for Vodafone LTE700 Smiley Sad

Posted from Apple iPad
Contributor

Message 6 of 11 (2,112 Views)

It annoys me so much that Spark still do this with their handsets! I know it's just a minor thing but it is such an out of date thing to do. It would be nice if there was an easy way to remove it without having to flash it or void the warranty and I can't believe there isn't already.

Perhaps Microsoft NZ should start selling their phones unlocked and carrier branding free via an online store? 

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 11 (2,090 Views)

The Spark specs for this phone says it is covered from 700mhz, 1800mhz and 2600mhz. Are these frequencies different for each carrier? I'm not overly clued up on how the LTE bands work.

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster ShortieWaswo Regular Poster
Message 8 of 11 (2,084 Views)

@NikTand @BrentR cover off the differences and limitations of cross network L830 usage pretty well in this thread Smiley Happy

Contributor

Message 9 of 11 (2,064 Views)

Should've known that, I started that thread after all :-)

I've returned my Lumia 830 to Spark. It's a great phone and I love the look and build quality of it but I couldn't get past the screen. After using my 820 for so long I just got used to the AMOLED screen and prefer it to LCD. Also, I don't know if it was just my phone or not but the screen felt almost plasticy and when touching it it kept showing the LCD ripple effect, even with light touches (I'm not heavy fingered with my phones). I began to find it annoying when typing or just navigating. Anyone else with an 830 find this happening as well? Oh well, might just fork out some more and grab the 930.

Contributor Nez
Contributor

by Contributor Nez Contributor
Message 10 of 11 (2,058 Views)

Wow you're one picky dude, seriously how many times do you reboot/turn your phone on? I wouldnt have thought you'd do it that often to care unless you turn it off every time you stop using it. I had the telecom splash on my 920 for a couple of years, it never really bothered me.

The 830 has an absolutely beautiful form factor probably the best I've ever seen in a Lumia. Unfortunately once you go 1080p screen Amoled you can't go back. I don't like LCD either dude, it just doesn't feel right eh?

I appreciate the extra speed the Snapdragon 800 has over the 400, its not much of a difference but ill take any speed advantage I can get. Also the Snapdragon 800 allows more features like true HDR rich capture and 4K video that the 830 can't offer.

Vodafone got it right offering the 930.

Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 7 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today