Vodafone TV set-top box keeps locking up

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Vodafone TV set-top box keeps locking up

by Contributor sikcapri Contributor
Message 1 of 10 (1,552 Views)

Hey all,

I'm having issues with my Vodafone TV set-top box and wonder if anyone has any ideas that I haven't tired already, and if not if I can organise a replacement.

The issue is that when the unit uis powered up, it plays about 15-20 seconds of TV. the freezes locks up. 

The unit does not recover if left alone (have left it for 30mins+ on three separate occasions) and if repowered or reset (using the reset button) it will just freeze again after showing about 15-20 second of TV. While in the state it doesn't respond to commands via the remote (although the blue ligth flashed indicating it's at aleast seeing the remote) or the front panel EXCEPT for the power button.

Pressing the power button will cause it to go into sleep mode, but when you wake it back up again it's still froxen where it was before. Only way to get it to do anything is to cycle power, but of course it just locks right back up again.

I've tried repowering and holding the reset button down for 10+ seconds, it did a System Disk check after this but didn't indicate it had detected any problems, but then went on to freeze again.

It's been like this for about 24 hours now so I assume it's not becuase of any network related issues, internet and phone (which run through the same fiber ONT) also work fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Retired Staff

Re: Vodafone TV set-top box keeps locking up

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 6 of 10 (2,294 Views)

Very sorry, it seems this has not been completed fully. @MichaelC is lodging that for you now. The tech should be with you in the next 24-48 hours depending on availability, they will contact you on your mobile with more details.

Thank you

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author sikcapri
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 10 (1,526 Views)

EDIT: We've since figured out that this happens when the unit is recording, and doesn't happen when nothing is set to record (just so happens we had a lot of scheduled stuff set to record over the times I was trying to test and diagnose).

I've also since done a three finger reset on the unit under instruction from Richard in the tech support department, while he was a bit hard to hear and understand at times he knew his stuff and competently helped me through some additional fault finding steps. Unfortunately however, none of this helped.

I've deleted all out scheduled recordings now so we can at least watch TV, and Richard has sent a request through for a tech to come out and replace the set top box.

I'll update here when more info is available.

Message 3 of 10 (1,518 Views)

Sorry to hear this has been causing you trouble! There aren't too many troubleshooting options available for the Vodafone TV and it sounds like you've exhausted them all. I agree it'd be good to have a tech look into it, hopefully if the recorder does need to be replaced it won't cause you too much disruption.

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 10 (1,433 Views)

Still not even a phone call from a service tech two weeks later, I wonder whether the guy I spoke to on the phone even logged it in the system....

Along with all the other crap I have going on with shoddily secured email addresses and billing issues this whole thing is starting to fall apart at the seams.

Gone are the days of the old Vodafone where things would work first time every time, and on the rare occasion where htey didn't it would be fixed pronto.................... (and I would know, I've been a Vodafone customer one way or the other since you were BellSouth New Zeland)

Message 5 of 10 (1,426 Views)

Can someone look at my account and confirm if a sevice ticket has been raised and if so what the ticket number is please?

Message 6 of 10 (2,295 Views)

Very sorry, it seems this has not been completed fully. @MichaelC is lodging that for you now. The tech should be with you in the next 24-48 hours depending on availability, they will contact you on your mobile with more details.

Thank you

Solution
Accepted by topic author sikcapri
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Contributor

Message 7 of 10 (1,339 Views)

Dylan wrote:

Thank you

Hey @Dylan, thanks for that. I had a call Friday afternoon and a tech came round and swapped it out early evening on his way home from work (top bloke).

Issues are now resolved fully so definitely was a hardware/disk fault with the old one.

Thanks for chasing this up.

Message 8 of 10 (1,331 Views)

Great to hear it's sorted now, thanks for letting us know. Smiley Happy

New Poster

by amylou New Poster
Message 9 of 10 (1,224 Views)

Hi,

I have had the same problem, i spoke to a vodaone tech on the phone after an hour of waiting and was finaly told yes the box needed replacing, i received a text to say some was going to come around to replace the box, they came 3 hours early and i was at work, then the next day i received a text saying the issue was sorted. the issue is not sorted. someone please contact me as i'm sick of waiting on the phone for long periods of time and i work till after 6pm.

thanks.

Highlighted
New Poster

by AllanPaterson New Poster
Message 10 of 10 (169 Views)

I have had a simalar problem, where i turned on the TV got a blank screen, did a reset next day tv was locked on one channel. Rang the help line got passed on to 4 different departments. Gave up and went to the Vodafone store, they contacted Vodafone and told them the problems. Got a fone call later that day from Vodafone saying if the tech came and found no fault i would be paying for the call out. Cancelled the tech support as i aint paying. They seem to think that they turn up and i can get it to do the faulty thing lol. Yea right. So if it happens i will go to Sky after cancelling VFone.

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today