Vodafone TV loosing internet connection daily

Starter Poster

Vodafone TV loosing internet connection daily

[ Edited ]
by AndrewMaxwell Starter Poster
Message 1 of 24 (2,512 Views)

Hi All,

Anyone else having issues where the Vodafone TV looses connection and sends up an error code SC401?

i tried looking at the help section and there is no mention of that code. The only way to get the Vodafone TV back up and running is to unplug the Vodafone TV, Ultra Hub router and wifi extenders. Once up and running I have to re-pair the wifi extenders and then reconnect the network in the Vodafone TV network settings.

This happened usually twice a day. I could cope with it weekly, but twice a day is getting too much.

(the same error happens on both Vodafone TV’s. one with wifi extenders and the other is connected by Ethernet cable).

Posted from Apple iPad
Staff

Re: Vodafone TV loosing internet connection daily

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 2 of 24 (2,463 Views)

Hi @AndrewMaxwell

This sounds like something up with your internet connection, rather than the set top boxes or TV service itself.

What internet access method are you on?    Are you able to run a ping to www.google.co.nz and leave it for a while and see if you have any loss?

ping www.google.com -t

Likewise, can you do a speedtest via a computer connected via ethernet to the router?

Cheers,

Grant

I work in Media Operations.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 24 (2,443 Views)

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply. We are on fibre 200/20 and the speedtest has us running close to that. (196/20). The ping test shows no losses. Even the speedtest and ping test run when the Vodafone TV has lost its connection doesn’t show anything unusual.

After that,I have factory reset the ultra hub and (touch wood) there haven’t been any further problems.

Posted from Apple iPad
Contributor

by Contributor causality Contributor
Message 4 of 24 (2,363 Views)

Not an internet issue as this attached test from Speedtest Beta confirms that while I am streaming NewsHub Live at the time of the test, I can still receive a download speed of 878.14 and 167.66 up.

Usually I get around 930 max down and 468 max up when the VTV  is not on.

All tests are conducted via Ethernet not WiFi on a Vodafone Ultra Hub and Vodafone Fibre Max 1Gbps connection, and the VTV is connected directly to the Ultra Hub via Ethernet.

WiFi speed tests will reflect a lower number.

Speedtest Ethernet streaming on Voda TV_20180101.jpg

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 24 (2,358 Views)

So when you get the buffering issue, do you get any error messages?

As when it happens to us we get a message on the top right of the screen saying “no internet connection or connection lost” the main display says a large splash screen saying “you are not subscribed to this channel, if this is an error please contact Vodafone...”

When we we change channels we get a further error code “SC401”.

The only way to get everything back is to reset the ultrahub and the Vodafone TV. Sometimes resetting the TV twice actually gets it back up and running.

Posted from Apple iPad
Contributor

Message 6 of 24 (2,353 Views)

No, no real buffering issues; most likely due to the high speed of my connection.

I do get the SC401 after I turn on the VTV which lasts from 5 - 30 seconds before coming right. After that, it's all good.

I mentioned buffering issues above as those on a slower connection may experience this after turning on their VTV. Those users who leave their VTV on continously may not.

Contributor

Message 7 of 24 (2,412 Views)
Not internet connection as I'm also getting the issue but only briefly (30seconds) before it comes right and I'm on a 1Gbps connection.

It may be a buffering issue, but it seems to be more likely a provisioning of content issue at Vodafone's end.

Posted from Samsung SM-G935F
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 24 (2,399 Views)

We get the buffering issue as well.

Our problem is like what is happening right now. Internet connection is working for all other devices, but the Vodafone TVs. When we go to the network part of the settings it says it is connected to the LAN. But the message in the top right of the screen says “Cannot connect to the server or connection lost.”

Still have no packet losses, still showing 200/20 in speedtest, but both Vodafone TVs don’t see the network connection.

The only way to fix this is turn off the Ultra hub, both Vodafone TVs and restart from scratch.

it certainly isn’t an ultra hub problem as it only affects the TV, but the only way to fix the TV appears to be a reset of everything.

Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 24 (2,268 Views)

After having to fully reset the vodafone TV for the third time today, I'm convinced that this system clearly has issues and nobody knows what to do to fix it.

This isn't a problem with my fibre connection, or the ultra hub. As when the TV tells me there is no internet connection, I'm still able to use the internet in both wired and wireless connections. Its not a buffering issue, as I've let it sit and do nothing for a full hour and nothing changed.

I've tried rining tech support and been told the only option is to do what I'm doing - reset the ultra hub, any wifi extenders and the vodafone TV.. But doing this three times a day isn't a fix.

Can I return these and cancel my 2 year contract because I've been sold a lemon?

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 10 of 24 (2,260 Views)

Before you do canel this, and assuming you can be bothered, can you try something first; as I'd like to know if it works for you.

Power off both VTV and TV.

Unplug the HDMI cable and reverse it, that is plug it in to TV with the end that was in the VTV and reconnect the VTV with the other end.

Power up and test.

Sometimes HDMI cables only seem to work one way, and being plugged in the other way can lead to signal conflicts or no signal at all.

Alternative, try another HDMI cable of at least HDMI version 1.4 or later and see what happens.

Stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 43w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 9 Contributors