Vodafone TV & Wifi

Highlighted
New Poster
Accepted Solution

Vodafone TV & Wifi

by ChaseKoolen New Poster
Message 1 of 6 (761 Views)

Can't believe the Vodafone TV box can't pick up a Wifi singal - unbelieable it is not built in. Any one got any other ideas for a wifi extender? My tv is hung on a wall and I'd prefer not to have another box (Vodafone wifi extender) next to it. I also have a small Roku and can't believe that that has wifi built in yet the Vodafone TV box doesn't.

Frequent Poster

Re: Vodafone TV & Wifi

by Frequent Poster Rangus Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 6 (728 Views)
Just run Ethernet cable from modem router. It’s way better connection even though the tv box is not wifi.

I hear they (Vodafone) will turn the box into a wifi at some stage.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

by sisyphus10 Starter Poster
Message 3 of 6 (653 Views)

I too am amazed about the lack of direct wifi connectivity in the Vodafone box. I have to admit I get an excellent picture via the wifi extender provided by Vodafone. But the Vodafone box is sitting on a shelf near my TV, together with both a PlayStation 3 and Western Digital Media Player, both of which connect directly with my modem via wifi, and also give excellent pictures...

Unfortunately I can't suggest any serious alternative to the extender box -- though I suppose you might already have considered the other type of range extender which uses your house electrical wiring as the medium...?

Starter Poster

by Matt71 Starter Poster
Message 4 of 6 (524 Views)

This is astonishing. Does the tv box work with a USB WiFi dongle, or only with Ethernet? Surely Vodafone haven’t provided me with a box that I then need to run a cable through the house to make it work? Or do they free of charge provide a wifi/Ethernet extender?

Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by KenBerry Starter Poster
Message 5 of 6 (488 Views)

I just replied to your identical separate post, as follows:

I don't know whether a wifi dongle will work with the box. But essentially it is an ethernet box. But they provide two wifi extenders with the package, and free of charge. This worked well in my case, as my modem is literally at the other end of the house to the TV and needed the boost. I got a good signal and clear image on TV most of the time, but still got the same sorts of dropouts and lost connections that many others complain about here -- usually about one a night.

Wiring the house, as suggested above, is not IMHO a viable solution in this day and age. Using the house electrical wiring with devices designed for this, is an interim solution, but expensive, in the sense that you would have to buy those devices. As I say, Vodafone only supply wifi extenders. One is plugged in by ethernet cable to the modem, and the other placed near the TV and connected to the TV via ethernet cable too. So the same effect is achieved. But the box itself remains stubbornly not in itself wifi...

Starter Poster

by KenBerry Starter Poster
Message 6 of 6 (481 Views)

Making a small correction. The foregoing should read: "One is plugged in by ethernet cable to the modem, and the other placed near the TV and connected to the Vodafone TV box via ethernet cable too. "

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 14w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors