Vodafone TV: Overview and Initial Reaction.

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Vodafone TV: Overview and Initial Reaction.

[ Edited ]
by TimmyMcM Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (645 Views)

We have been operational since 24th November.

Other than some delays in getting equipment the setup was simple and everything worked on 1st attempt including extender to 2nd TV.

The apps were a little clunky to activate and we froze once or twice but all working satisfactorily by end of the 1st day.

Some of the comments already mentioned about favorite channels, accessing recordings, restriction on some series recording are also problems I have faced therefore I will wait to see the responses that appear.

Some observations and questions that I have that have not been addressed by others:

1. Readability of the channel guide. The font and colour/shading make this almost impossible to read.  Sky had a similar problem with 1 of their upgrades and eventually fixed it. Channel logos too small to see, therefore almost useless.

2. Entering channel numbers via remote. This responds too quickly.  More often end up on channel 2 rather than 201. 

3. Surprised that NEON is not available as an installed app.

4. User Newsletter and software update timetable.  Does Vodafone intend to provide this sort of information.

5. User panel. When Sky introduced Sky on Demand they had a user panel that

tested the Beta Version and provided formal input on usability and function.  I was a member of this panel for Sky. Has Vodafone follower this concept?

6. There us no ability to add additional apps such as a music app or newspapers.

7. Already covered by other posts but a major frustration is the lack of favourite channel functionality and the fast forward methodology.  Significant time wasted in navigating using the current system.

As a Sky user for over 20 years I know I'm biased. I expected differences and know that this technology is the way forward hence I'm an early adopter. However i expect that over time the user experience should exceed what is currently standard features on the competitive product. 

Look forward to the service growing and improving.

Regards

Posted from Generic Android 2.0 Tablet
Starter Poster

Re: Overview and Intial Reaction.

by RobWylie Starter Poster
Message 2 of 6 (599 Views)

Very accurate comments. I agree entirely with your summary.

Especially about the readibility of the TV guide. The channel logo's are so small!!  Practically unreadable?

Hopefully fine tuning & adjustments will be made along the way.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 3 of 6 (595 Views)

@TimmyMcM

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback.

1. Readability of the channel guide. The font and colour/shading make this almost impossible to read.  Sky had a similar problem with 1 of their upgrades and eventually fixed it. Channel logos too small to see, therefore almost useless.
> I will raise this with the product team, definitely on the radar.

2. Entering channel numbers via remote. This responds too quickly.  More often end up on channel 2 rather than 201. 
> Noted

3. Surprised that NEON is not available as an installed app.

> NEON is only available as a web/mobile app.

4. User Newsletter and software update timetable.  Does Vodafone intend to provide this sort of information.

> Yes, certainly in the Community for software updates and more. No plans for a User Newsletter but I'll put forward the suggestion.

5. User panel. When Sky introduced Sky on Demand they had a user panel that tested the Beta Version and provided formal input on usability and function.  I was a member of this panel for Sky. Has Vodafone follower this concept?
> Yes, we have a programme in place and will review its function going forwards.

6. There us no ability to add additional apps such as a music app or newspapers.
> Not currently.

7. Already covered by other posts but a major frustration is the lack of favourite channel functionality and the fast forward methodology.  Significant time wasted in navigating using the current system.
> Noted

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

by neillo1 Starter Poster
Message 4 of 6 (582 Views)

Hi Timmy - just a question. You talk about extender to second TV - how have you set this up as the only way I can see to do it is with wifi extender and a second STB which would be another $20 per month 

Starter Poster

by TimmyMcM Starter Poster
Message 5 of 6 (567 Views)

You are correct in that I have a 2nd set top box.

All works perfectly.

Regards

Posted from Generic Android 2.0 Tablet
Starter Poster

Re: Vodafone TV: Overview and Initial Reaction.

by Muntedkiwi Starter Poster
Message 6 of 6 (385 Views)

PRO’S

Shows are available for 36 hours.

Can pause most channels and resume when you come back.

No need for the Plus 1 channels since you can watch up to 36 hours after the show finished.

CON’S

Rewind and fast forward are lame and time based like the format used originally for VHS tapes from 30 years ago. So you are blind to where you are up to. Visual clues would be especially useful and more up with the play.

On pause, the screen is faded out and behind a giant pause button etc. The bottom of the screen is completely hidden. So watching sport replays or freezing the screen to take in stats etc, is beyond frustrating.

Bizzrely NEON is not available on APPS. So users without a smart TV have to also run a phone or laptop and Chromecast back to the TV.

After rewinding, the screen takes nearly 5secs to fully fade back in.

Often after changing channels the screen takes up to 2secs to sharpen up.

Very limited range of volume levels . So sometimes it goes from too quiet to too loud and vice versa.

There are no instructions for the buttons on your remote. Some buttons don’t appear do anything at all. There appear to be at least 3 buttons for rewind for example, depending on what you are watching. You need to be a Vodafone guru and psychic and to sometimes work things out.

Navigating around VTV seems to have been designed by at least 3 different people. So different buttons do different things depending on what you are trying to do. It is often not intuitive.

Start up takes ages.

Start up defaults at first to a pointless landing screen, which means you have to do extra navigating with the remote. After several days it defaults to either TV1 or the channel you were last on. Not sure why this is inconsistent.

The menu screen is not easy to navigate around.

Selecting a show to watch is not intuitive. You often have to be on the unintuitive expected option. It requires several selections to get the solitary selection to play.

Can’t go back to the start of a show which is currently running until the show has finished.

The buttons on the remote are low profile, so harder to navigate by feel only when watching TV in the dark (like when trying to reduce the light pollution for others sleeping)

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 29w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors