The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review

Business Ninja Adept

Re: The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 11 of 36 (1,247 Views)
@DavidBruce the TVNZ Ondemand app is accessible now. If it is still showing the ‘Coming Soon’ message ; can you just power cycle the STB.

Thanks.
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

by Dutyfree Starter Poster
Message 12 of 36 (1,205 Views)

Waiting for my unit to arrive and now wondering if I should have waited.  I clearly did not do enough research before I made the decision.

Worse than that the tech who came as I was told I had to have someone install, did not bring the unit and only the new router by accident.  But Vodafone turned off my existing Vodafone TV the same day and I am still waiting for my new unit to be "expedited" after three calls and five days!

Just to add insult to injury I am now told I could have done the change myself, which I am very capable of doing.

We had had some many problems with the existing Vodafone TV (over fibre) that I was apprehensive about committing again, but I fell for teh hype.

Should I cancel it and just stick with the existing clunker?  At least I can record TV1 etc and see the ads etc fast forwarding!!

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster floydbloke Frequent Poster
Message 13 of 36 (1,051 Views)

Dutyfree wrote:

Should I cancel it and just stick with the existing clunker?  At least I can record TV1 etc and see the ads etc fast forwarding!!

@Dutyfree  I would while you still can.Vf needs to get the message that they shouldn't launch substandard (my opinion) products and just expect their paying customers to put up with it.

It's a real shame.  They do have a lot of good offerings and when they work they tend to be reliable I just wish they would improve their quality control and tranparnecy for new products, and improve their processes and communications when doing installations or changes to someone's services.

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster AndrewRussell Regular Poster
Message 14 of 36 (996 Views)

I am also an early adaptor for the newer TV product having just given up the Tbox we are on 100/20

As earlier users have noticed some of the APPs load very slowly and seem to stall the machine

Watching the catch up TV3 and TVNZ APP there are false starts then long delays for an advert to stream - bad enough to have to watch the advert let alone wonder if its crashed

I have also had the box crash at least once a night using the APP functionality - esp. You Tube

Wife not happy about limited recording options - and will be more unhappy when she finds how unstable the APPs are to watch items she cant record

Not being able to record any Prime or even have an APP for Prime is a major pain given they have some decent programs

But biggest annoying thing is the audio quality - I have a decent AMP and speaker set up, the Tbox was outputting 5.1 digital sound via optic cable and all was happy for the TV1,2,3, Prime channels

Now with new box I have found it still requires the optic cable to get 5.1, but none of the TV channels are in 5.1 suround its a PCM output that is coded for just 2 channels. Huge step back there.

I know the set up is correct for the AMP as the Netflicks APP on the new box is outputing 5.1 digital and my sound system comes to life again using all channels for the Netflix 5.1 programs

sound is very important for many tv/movie watchers and I cant understand why its taken such a giant leap backwards for all channels/ apps except Neflix????

The T-box should have been made clearly obsolete by the new box, but my family has old box envy at the moment

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster bfarrellnz Regular Poster
Message 15 of 36 (1,065 Views)
Look it's not terrible, just buggy if they get the issues I've addressed above dealt to its a great proposition, even just adding shows to your watch list would alleviate a lot of the issues I have. You have tv3 and tvnz apps so there are workarounds but if your expectations are lowered you'll probably have a better experience than I had.
Posted from Samsung SM-G935F
Starter Poster

by IanHollins Starter Poster
Message 16 of 36 (938 Views)

Very disappointing.  Vodafone cut off the old service before the new box arrived. Promised to reinstate they old service but said it may take 24 hours.  We had four days with no service at all.

Not providing for recording TV1, 2, 3 and Prime is unacceptable. Why give your customers another job to do and not allow to record a store in one place. Its a terrible customer experience to restrict functionality for some channels and to direct customers to inferior apps. The ability to go back 3 days is not always that useful for shift workers and those who travel a lot.  Why was this reduction in service not explained or even mentioned when customers sign up?

The fast forward and rewind service should have a visual queue.

The user interface is not intuitive and the guide is clumsy.  Needs much more refinement to become a nice customer experience.

The service included 2 WiFi extenders but they were not provided.

The brochure states you can switch easily between the "TV, tablet and mobile phone".  Between the TV and phone works but I cant switch to my tablet.  I cant find any help on how to do this or what software is required for the table to work.

I will test over the weekend, but likely to cancel this new service, and return it once Vodafone reinstates the old Vodafone TV service.  Maybe once Vodafone has fully tested the new box, carried out some customer reviews and sorted the bugs I might come back.

Frequent Poster

Re: The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review - Groundhog Day?

by Frequent Poster dbatten Frequent Poster
Message 17 of 36 (930 Views)

Greetings - after spending months yelling and screaming getting the old VFTV to work a couple of years ago - we took the plunge and here are my views after 1 week & a bit with the new one…..

My expectation was that we would have all the functionality and more vs the old Box – If we had realised that there was no ability to record 1/2/3/Prime we wouldn’t have ‘upgraded’. I have no expectation of having to use other party ‘on demand’ apps for those channels. And how do you get around watching prime / Choice other than ‘live’? This seems more about VF unravelling their relationship with Freeview and not quite having got there yet with Sky hence the lack of Prime access.  A new way of watching TV – bah! Example: how do we watch Antiques roadshow off Prime other than live?

(1 TV guide - On ‘Menu’ screen ‘TV guide’ doesn’t show 'all channels' until you start to scroll it appears but looks like it is unavailable and dulled out - 'All channels' should be near the top under the last channel that the decoder was last on…. the channel brand names / graphics on the left of the screen are too small / can't record TV1/TV2/3/Prime most obviously – joke!  Also channels you are not subscribed to should be greyed out?

(2 Recorded progs - FFWD / REV where do you end up? don't know - will have to start timing ad breaks!

Was sort of hoping that as all programs were in the cloud – could rewind anything that was live to the beginning of that prog and start watching – especially last channel viewed even if the device had been switched off.

(3 Channel range available - want access and recording facility for RNZ National and RNZ concert as per old Voda decoder – don’t start me again on 1/2/3/Prime / Choice!

(4 My TV / On demand take up a lot of real estate on the MENU screen for no reason - programs I started to watch then paused – what happens to them? Series linked programs played & paused - very difficult to pick which episode you were watching - should that episode not appear in My TV?

(5 Vodafone TV app – often crashes on start-up - just tried to watch TV1 Breakfast on Iphone – ‘no set top boxes in your network’ – crash – restart – ‘push to TV’ – selected but now hanging – mobile playback unavailable. Lots of revolving circles. Would like to be able to control playback on phone regardless of screen?

(5 Netflix works fine - Yotube / 3 now / other app programs very slow to load - and lots of stuttering and interrupted buffering.

Vodafone should post known issues – esp. the inability to record channels and the sales people should be aware of this glaring issue! This is a smart piece of kit but again if VF wants us to be Guinee pigs why they don’t just say so!

Starter Poster

by Dutyfree Starter Poster
Message 18 of 36 (918 Views)

After a week waiting for the new unit to be delivered after the tech I did not need forgot to get it I have decided to cancel the new version and I am currently on the phone trying to get my old STB reactivated.

Like a prior poster, I spent months on the phone etc to get the old service working consistantly three years ago.  I even had a senior Vodafone tech in my house for about four evenings with multiple laptops and logging equipement to work out what was happening.  Actually that was after about a year of having the service when it suddenly decided to degrade to a green screen.

They actually left logging equipent attached and have never been back to get it!

So a big shout out to Vodafone people who may read this forum, your service is as always rubbish, teh products you sell us are substandard, your follow up is rubbish, your sales message is misleading and absolutely must be breaching the Fair Trading Act.

Vodafone, you know where to find me, please make contact.

I have written this while waiting to have my call answered, only 30 min, then another 5 while they tried to find someone who could reactivate my old service, but apparently they are only avaliable on weekdays.  So I have been told I will be called Monday (yeah right, just like the guy that was going to call me Wednesday).  We will see, 6 days no TV service and counting.

Starter Poster

by IanHollins Starter Poster
Message 19 of 36 (864 Views)

It looks like the early adopters of the new Vodafone TV are in fact the user testers.

This morning I watched Q&A on TV1 and in the middle paused it for about 10 minutes and then returned to complete watching.  With about 5 minutes to go, it stopped Q&A and reverted to live TV.  To see the last 5 minutes I had to go to the guide, into TV1, click on Q&A and then fast forward through most of the program.  A major bug.

I then wanted to watch The Nation on TV3.  It was about 15 minutes into the program and there was no way I could get to the start of the program.  Even trying the Saturday version of the program did not work as it flicked to the live version. I guess I will have to wait until the program finishes and try again.

Being able to record both programs would have solved this problem.

A real backwards step by Vodafone

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster dbatten Frequent Poster
Message 20 of 36 (854 Views)

Greetings

Vf would have you believe that you are supposed to go to the appropriate App - TVNZ on demand / 3 Now to view / play these programs on the 1/2/3 free to air channels.

To add insult to injury - it is also apparent that the 1/2/3/prime signal that were in native HD via the old T Box are now being fed at much lower resolution and then upscaled.

regards db

Stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 9w ago
  • 11 Kudos
  • 12 Contributors