The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review

Starter Poster

Re: The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review

by Bsmith12 Starter Poster
Message 31 of 45 (1,592 Views)
I returned my Vodafone TV box, was really surprised about how fundamental the gaps were. It's a shame, as they should all have been pretty obvious to the team developing the product. Usability is key and in too many instances they've got it wrong.

1. You need to be able to record all channels/shows equally, none of this nonsense about using apps for some things and the EPG for others.

2. The fast forward/rewind function needs the visual cue to be of any use.

3. The design of the EPG is very poor. The contrast isn't good enough to make the right info stand out. Also the icons used for each channel are too clever and almost unreadable on a smaller screen several metres away.

4. I could never tell when I had already marked a program to record, so ended up cancelling the recording and having to add it back again.

I can't think that my usage is particularly unusual, in that I have a bunch of shows series linked and watch them when I can, skipping ads or bits I may have already seen.

That's why I'm so surprised and disappointed that the new service seems to have completely missed the mark for me.

It's all fixable but will require some humility by the team developing it to accept they haven't quite got it right yet.
Posted from Samsung SM-A300Y
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster floydbloke Frequent Poster
Message 32 of 45 (1,533 Views)

Bsmith12 wrote:
I returned my Vodafone TV box, was really surprised about how fundamental the gaps were. It's a shame, as they should all have been pretty obvious to the team developing the product. Usability is key and in too many instances they've got it wrong.

1. You need to be able to record all channels/shows equally, none of this nonsense about using apps for some things and the EPG for others.

2. The fast forward/rewind function needs the visual cue to be of any use.

I'm speculating here, but I suspect that these are design features and that there is no intention by VF to 'fix' these.

Reason: they don't want you to be able to skip ads.  I'd go as far as suspecting that the licenceing agreement betwwen VF and TVNZ/mediawirks(TV3) says that VF can reboradcast their channels but does not allow recording, for that very reason.

It'd be nice to get some offical word from Vodafone on this but becuase it's not 'good news' for the customer I doubt that we will.  Meanwhile I'm hanging on to my MySky box, it's worth the extra $35 per month.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 33 of 45 (1,374 Views)
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.
Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster bfarrellnz Regular Poster
Message 34 of 45 (1,591 Views)
If you didn't ask for anything extra you are on the sky basic package, sky movies you are getting for free due to the issues they've had with getting all the rights.

So you pay 50-60 dollars a month for Vodafone tv
Posted from Samsung SM-G935F
Regular Poster

Message 35 of 45 (1,585 Views)
This should have been explained when you signed up but what I've found is that the call centre staff know very little about the product.

To give them their due the service has improved but there is still the glaring omission of hgtv and choice not being able to at least catch up or restart along with movies and content on 3.
Regular Poster

Message 36 of 45 (1,583 Views)
Also good luck getting any official response here I've given up asking only responding to others sold a product which wasn't ready for market
Starter Poster

by Bsmith12 Starter Poster
Message 37 of 45 (1,571 Views)
It would be nice to know if they are going to resolve these things eventually. I'm a bit worried about the comments I read before that implied the "new" way of watching TV is just to use the on demand apps.
Posted from Samsung SM-A300Y
Community Manager

Message 38 of 45 (1,372 Views)
There is a continuing programme of development and I am feeding back comments from here and elsewhere to the product team.
Vodafone New Zealand
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster AaronSmithson76 Frequent Poster
Message 39 of 45 (1,370 Views)

Thanks Mike.

Is there some where the more shall we say technical minded people can chat and express development suggestions?

Or is it suggested we message in the Vodafone TV - your feedback and questions answered forum

Highlighted
Community Manager

Message 40 of 45 (1,887 Views)
Would recommend posting in the Ideas Forum, happy to hear ideas and suggestions.
Vodafone New Zealand
Stats
  • 44 Replies
  • 48w ago
  • 33 Kudos
  • 12 Contributors