The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review

Frequent Poster

The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review

[ Edited ]
by Frequent Poster floydbloke Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 46 (7,358 Views)

I had a play with the new Vodafone TV in a couple of VF shops last week.

All-in-all it's quite a funky unit, does what it says on the tin, easy to use, well priced but here are my reasons for not ditching MySky just yet.

1. You cannot record TV1 and 2.  Yes you can go back about 3 or 4 days but you couldn't use it to record and follow a drama series.
  2. When you fast-forward or rewind the picture disappears and you're presented with a timer on screen.  you can't do visual cue-ing.  (to fast-forward through the ads for example).

If/when these two features are implemented I will seriously consider.

Also VF, you're not doing yourselves any favour with, what I guess, is a bandwidth issue in your Lambton Quay store, the picture quality is utter cr*p.  I went to the Cuba St. shop as well and it look superb.

Regular Poster

Re: The 'new' Vodafone TV - my review

by Regular Poster bfarrellnz Regular Poster
Message 2 of 46 (7,263 Views)

Huh just posted a reply but its somehow been removed, here it is again, I trust its a glitch in the system and not vodafone removing comments:

I just upgraded from the t-box, be warned anyone thinking of doing the same, the new box is missing key functionality and still feels in beta.

Requirements before it was released should have been:

• Record any channel at any time
  • Add any program to the watchlist, so I can atleast follow a series if I cant series link.
  • Apps are buggy and appear to crash sometimes, mainly down to the slow loading of the ads, but can freeze up the whole box.
  • Dont show on demand content I dont have access to, or atleast indicate why.
  • Clicking the ok button on the remote restarts a paused program, it should just start playing it.
  • Returning to a show in catchup should remember where I was and restart from there.

TV3 supposedly has catchup on some programs, but Ive yet to find any put the list of channels and their limitations front and center and make sure your staff in your call center are well briefed on the product so they can answer simple questions.

Also give an indication of the development roadmap, so I can be sure there is even a plan to add what I regard as critical requirments are going to be done and make sure that your staff indicate the limitations when people request to be upgraded.

At the moment I feel as if I am paying to be a tester, to me the box is still in beta and not close to a release candidate.

Just my 2 cents.

Frequent Poster

Message 3 of 46 (7,256 Views)

@bfarrellnz

This page shows the channels and their features limitations:

http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/28684

Regular Poster

Message 4 of 46 (7,253 Views)

Yep should have added the link

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 5 of 46 (7,245 Views)

@bfarrellnz @floydbloke

Thanks for the post and your thoughts on the new TV service.

With regards to the ability to record all channels all the time. This is a new way of watching tv. You can use the On Demand apps on your Vodafone TV box to access your favourite programs on  TVNZ1 and TVNZ2 and Three. There’s no need to record everything and viewing via the apps means you can watch your shows when you want.

It is a different way of watching TV and we realise it might take some time to adjust. Most of the other channels on our standard packages do offer these features. The link above, as mentioned, has more information on exactly what channels have what functionality, plus your TV Guide is updating with new information all the time.

Regarding the apps - thanks for that feedback. Haven't come across that myself but will raise it regardless.

On Demand content - we have flagged what is and isn't possible with each programme

OK Button and returning to a show in catch-up - thanks for that, will pass on. Hadn't noticed that myself.

Development roadmap - will certainly highlight new features, programming changes etc as they become available.

Cheers

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Frequent Poster

Message 6 of 46 (7,242 Views)

MikeHales wrote:

With regards to the ability to record all channels all the time. This is a new way of watching tv. You can use the On Demand apps on your Vodafone TV box to access your favourite programs on  TVNZ1 and TVNZ2 and Three. There’s no need to record everything and viewing via the apps means you can watch your shows when you want.

In other words,  you WILL watch the ads, and we'll decide when to take a show offline so you can  no longer view it.

Starter Poster

by DavidBruce Starter Poster
Message 7 of 46 (7,202 Views)

The TV1 app is not live yet. TV3 and Youtube hang and take some time to recover, even the Vodafone help app crashes. Why do we have to search the website to find our way around the new system rather than a User guide of some sort. If you want to watch Prime and Choice you can only do so live, no record or going back 3 days. There also numerous programmes within various channels that cant be recorded. There doesnt appear to be a way to set favourite channels as with the old box. It would be good to see which programmes you have set to record on the TV guide rather than having to go back to the My TV page.

My main gripe is having to guess the length of ad breaks rather than seeing what is being fast forwarded.

Its not all bad but feels like the introduction was rushed and we get a half finished product which will give customers the opportunity to discuss and review it in a negative way.

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 8 of 46 (6,499 Views)

@DavidBruce

TVNZ app now live btw.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Dutyfree Starter Poster
Message 9 of 46 (6,487 Views)

Well after approx 10 days without TV, 5 calls to Vodafone, 1 call to followup some double billing for installtion that never happened, we got our "old" vodafone TV box reactivated.  

Even though we never actually received the "new" vodafone TV we are happy to be back up and running.

I really hope Vodafone look at the user feedback they are getting as I really want to move in the direction the new system is going.  If it wasnt for Sky Sport I would not even care and would probably happily exist on Apple Tv and Netflix.

Highlighted
Regular Poster

Message 10 of 46 (7,199 Views)

No offense Mike, but this seems like a real apple response to the issues raises, "its not the product, its perfect, its you the consumer who's wrong"

Sorry but opening an app to watch something isnt as intuitive as going through the channel list, plus opening and closing the apps are painfully slow and give the appearance of being broken.

Why am I unable to add a tv show to my watch list, so I can quickly access them without having to search using a tv remote every time, this would at least temper my anger at not being able to record what I want.

I no longer am able to record Prime, and it has no catchup which means I can no longer watch free-to-air sports with my son, given they are generally shown ridiculously late at night or at inconvenient times during the day, no doubt this is to force me to upgrade to Sky Sports.

In regards to on-demand, I refer to that waste of real estate on the menu which shows movies I cant watch as I'm not subscribed to sky movies, and I wont subscribe as I have Neon (which I still have to watch through chromecast, even though I got my subscription through yourselves).

If there is a development roadmap, please share, its not that I dislike the box, I love the concept and upgraded based on its promise and marketing. At the moment it feels unfinished and rushed, and as a paying consumer I want to know that I am going to get the issues fixed in the near future or I'll continue to feel as if I have been conned into signing up for 12 months.

Stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 35w ago
  • 32 Kudos
  • 12 Contributors