Switching to newer VFTV. Easy?

Starter Poster

Switching to newer VFTV. Easy?

by nickmck Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (593 Views)

in peoples experience has this been a relatively painless/quick process? 

I have an early edition vf set top box over cable that decided to stop booting a while ago (harddrive failure) so I need to look at options. FWIW I've read the issues mentioned here surrounding program recording, and to be honest that's not a deal breaker.

Currently have FibreMAX with the provided VF modem in place, but that's just passing direct through to my internal wifi/wired router. From what I understand VFTV would want to connect to their router or is it possible for it be setup to use existing infrastructure?

If i want to switch is there any way to do this other than spending time on hold to the call centre?

Starter Poster

Re: Switching to newer VFTV. Easy?

by dmwc Starter Poster
Message 2 of 4 (543 Views)

In my case it was very easy.

TV box sent to me, unwrapped it and plugged it into my network and I was away. When I got my second box I had to ring them to get the box authorised. The serial number of the TV box attaches to your account,

I dont use a Vodafone modem, as  I have a  Unifi system (using a USG Pro)

At the moment (at least on UFB) it is streaming directly and so it is using about 8 Gb/S of the speed allocation, does not have any effect on me. I have heard that at some stage they may switch some of it to multicasting (like the old VTV box you have at the moment) which would then not use part of your speed and that may require some special networking ste-up. When I did have a VTV I basically ran the VTV off the vodafone modem on a separate network as I could never get the multicasting to work properly on a pfSense box I was using back then - but I know some people did,

If you dont use recording much then you won't look back, it is far more responsive then the old VTV box - I have up on that one and moved to Sky before switching to the new VTV. Only thing to be wary of is rewind / forward is done by time not visual - takes a bit to get used to but once you get used to it it is quite efficient. The search function is excellent.

The service has improved a lot over the last three or four months.

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 4 (521 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Glad to hear there's a chance I might be able to add to my existing setup without much hassle. 

Looks like I may have to brave a call and see if they can send out a unit. 

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 4 (404 Views)

so .. complications.

It turns out I cannot get the new Vodafone TV over my existing connection since I have FibreMAX.  Smiley Sad 

Sales attempted to sell me on a new plan, oh with the small caveat that I would have to shift to the FibreX 200 or whatever so that's a no go unfortunately. Apparently they are working to get it operating on the MAX service so there is some hope in the upcoming months, but for now I'm stuck on the old service with a tbox that no longer boots, and I cannot seem to get through to anyone that can help me find a replacement.  

So with our connection having been severed by a landslide this weekend, and a World Cup i'm unable to watch - it's not been a great week.

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 27w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors