Old vs. New Vodafone TV Set Top Boxes

Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Old vs. New Vodafone TV Set Top Boxes

by Regular Contributor sikcapri Regular Contributor
Message 1 of 5 (330 Views)
We we're early adopters of the old Vodafone TV service, and are still running 2 x old Vodafone set top boxes at home. Been watching the developments with the new Vodafone TV service with interest and am considering starting the slog of getting them upgraded to the new ones. Any users have experience with the old vs. new? Am I making a horrible mistake by getting rid of the old ones?

Re: Old vs. New Vodafone TV Set Top Boxes

by SamYoung Starter Poster
Message 2 of 5 (243 Views)

We've had the new one for a few days now and heres my thoughts:

much more up to date UI, but less intuitive to begin with. However, after a few days it comes together, and is very easy to use. The remote feels nice and is simple, however i have a problem with being able to deliniate the ok button, the arrow buttone and the surrounding buttons by feel, meaning i ften hit menu instead of right, etc.

Also the remote is able to power off and on your TV, except telling it to do this also switches its volume buttons to the TV. Make sure the STB volume is set to max before doing this or you'll need to reset the remote and then relears the tv. not a biggie but annoying. We also run everything through an AV receiver so i would prefer to have the option of choosing whether or not the remote controls the volume. I have a Logitec Harmony, but i havent yet set it up with the new STB

Upgrade path is easy: Make a call, request the change and they'll send out the new box which is plug and play. My wife set ours up with limited knowledge of our AV setup. Dead easy. However, expect that even though you'll be told the T-box will continue to work until the new STB arrives, it'll be switched of fthe day you make the call, necessitating another call to Vodafone. If this happens, the fix seems to render the T-Box tempremental until its replaced.

I dont regret the change at all, and i really like the smaller form factor hardware.

Regular Contributor

by Regular Contributor sikcapri Regular Contributor
Message 3 of 5 (123 Views)
@SamYoung cheers dude, I went ahead and upgraded them based on your recommendation and have had a similar experience. Yes there are a few annoying idiosyncrasies and bugs, but they are outweighed for the most part by the increased functionality and we're happy with the change overall.

by pamgar Starter Poster
Message 4 of 5 (69 Views)

I had a Vodafone T Box and have a Samsung smart TV. I was able to record all content and watch anything I had missed on 

TV 1, 2 on TVNZ On Demand and Three on my tablet. I have other apps on my smart TV including Netflix, You Tube etc. 

I decided to go with the latest technology, the new Vodafone STB Intro ( i had previously got rid of Sky) and have been disappointed to find that not all content can be recorded and not everything advertised is avaiable.

So I can see no advantages in the new Vodafone STB over the T Box with a Smart TV that has access to TVNZ On Demand and Netflix etc  and would not recommend changing over to the new STB until more content can be recorded..

Starter Poster

by ivibes Starter Poster
Message 5 of 5 (33 Views)
love this comment....Upgrade path is easy: Make a call, request the change and they'll send out the new box. I spent 1.5hrs on the phone today trying to do that and was bounced from person to person until someone finally disconnected me. ive logged emails, chats and not one reply!...nothing is easy with Vodafone!
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors