HD on Vodafone TV

Frequent Poster

HD on Vodafone TV

by Frequent Poster BoyClutha Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 20 (1,197 Views)

Is HD a standard feature when you use a Vodafone Set Top Box (T-Box) on any of the Vodafone TV channels or is this something you pay extra for?

If HD is available, what channels can you receive in this enhanced form?

I know some channels transmit in "HD" (e.g. TV1) but I'm not getting this feature.

I'm talking specifically here about Vodafone TV through the T-Box (I'm on a VF cable connection in Wellington).

Thanks very much.  Cat Wink

Starter Poster

Re: HD on Vodafone TV

by MichaelHenryHurst Starter Poster
Message 2 of 20 (1,195 Views)

HD is only avaiable on programmes etc that are in HD, as i to am on Vodafone tv box via Fiber not all shows are done in HD 

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 3 of 20 (1,184 Views)

@BoyClutha

If it's transmitted in HD you'll get it in HD, and real full throttle HD at that!

Cheers

Mike

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Frequent Poster

Message 4 of 20 (1,178 Views)

OK, so you are confirming that HD is a standard feature on the channel if the channel transmits in HD?

I used to subscribe to the movies but cancelled it as I wasn't getting any value from it.  At that time I used to have an HD icon appearing against some of the terrestrial channels plus the Sky movie ones.  Now I don't.   When I recorded programmes they had the icon (and took up twice the space on my T-Box as an SD would, which I know is correct).  I remember that that the guy who I spoke to initially said I was getting an "HD ticket" with the movie subscription.

So, does Vodafone still use the "HD" icon to show when a transmitting channel is HD capable ?  If so, where have mine gone if HD is a standard service ?T-Box EPG.jpg 

Attached is a screen image from my T-Box EPG now - no HD icons and only one of the terrestrials ones (Prime) otherwise showing HD in the title.

(BTW, I connect my T-Box to an LG full HD TV via HDMI).

Staff

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 5 of 20 (1,172 Views)

That's just a difference in channel naming.

Tv1, TV2, TV3 are in HD.

I work in a contractor role for Vodafone in the Media Services Group.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Posted from Apple iPad
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 6 of 20 (1,171 Views)

My understanding is all Sky Channels are piped down to Lower Hutt via Fibre then broadcast onto the Cable Network or multicast on UFB (Fibre) so you don't have the reduced picture qual from Sky trying to squeeze everything onto the Satellite.

Vodafone are doing the right thing and not imposing a surcharge to have HD content, save duplication and bandwidth waste.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 7 of 20 (1,167 Views)

@BoyClutha

Yes, detailed here in About Vodafone TV FAQ. If channel is HD, you should be getting HD, especially as you're routing by HDMI etc. Strange if you have some showing HD?

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Frequent Poster

Message 8 of 20 (1,136 Views)

As I said earlier in the thread, the HD channels (TV1, 2, 3, Prime, Sky movie channels) were identified by an "HD" icon alongside the channel name in the EPG. 

Has Vodafone stopped using that identifier or did I lose the HD capability when I downgraded my channel subscription?

I definitely remember being told some time ago about needing an HD ticket on your account to get the higher bandwidth.

Staff

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 9 of 20 (1,127 Views)

The HD logo is only displayed in the planner screen for recordings flagged as being in HD.  This only occurs if Sky or Freeview have supplied that info.

In the guide you will only see the HD logo for those programmes if you press the i button to show the extended programme information.

I work in a contractor role for Vodafone in the Media Services Group.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Posted from Apple iPad
Frequent Poster

Message 10 of 20 (1,065 Views)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I used to see the HD icon against many of the programmes on TV1 and TV3 but now I don't see it at all.

I'm sure that something changed when I cancelled my Sky Movies subscription.  Can anyone confirm if the "HD ticket" is a real thing?  Do you have to be flagged differently in Vodafone's system to receive HD through the T-Box?

I'd call Vodafone but I age significantly every time I do this Cat Frustrated

Stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today