Beware Vodafone TV Box

Starter Poster

Beware Vodafone TV Box

by PaulKirker Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (754 Views)

Well I got talked in to switching from Sky TV to the new Vodafone TV Box by a smooth-talking telemarketer.  I have decided to stick with the Vodafone TV Box because there are a few really good features - the best being HD on all programmes, the ability to reach back 3 days to recover a programme you wanted to see and not having to Chromecast a few apps such as Netflix, Youtube, Three Now and TVNZ on Demand.  But I have also been pulling my hair out over the bad features which are:

• my broadband modem is in a different room from my 2 TV's.  So I was provided with Wifi extender units to boost the signal to the TV boxes.  Unfortunately the signal drops off frequently and I have to perform a fiddly reboot process to get things up and running again.  Annoying when in the middle of a favourite programme!
  • For some unknown and possibly weird reason you can not record all programmes.  In fact I would think only 50% of what I would like to record is recordable.  Why is this Vodafone, this is a huge barrier to the success of your product?!
  • The fast forward/rewind function moves on time but not pictures - so when trying to bypass those annoying ads, you have to try and judge how long you think the ads might be.  You end up frustratingly going too far and having to reverse till finally you find the place you want to be.  This has to change or again people will balk at taking on this product!
  • There is no 'carry over' if a programme is running a minute or so late.  So if you record it and later come to watch it, you well might miss the punchline at the end because the programme just cuts off.
  • Finally, I used to run 2 TV's off my Sky box so I could watch while in the kitchen and someone else could be watching in the lounge.  This facility is not available with Vodafone, you have to run 2 TV boxes separately and you get charged for the extra box!

So think carefully before you switch from Sky.  In retrospect I probably wouldn't have made the swithch if I knew what the problems were.  The obvious solution is for Vodafone to get their act together and make the changes that would provide them with a superb product!!

Starter Poster

Re: Beware Vodafone TV Box

by ewanc Starter Poster
Message 2 of 10 (721 Views)
With the wifi extender make sure they are balanced..i use a netgear extender and i have it positioned half way within my main wifi range not at the edge. Also i connect the 2g not the 5g.. much more stable..
Posted from Samsung SM-G930F
Starter Poster

by Tess Starter Poster
Message 3 of 10 (617 Views)

Yup. Couldnt agree more.

We got fibre unlimited and decided to go with Vodafone tv and get rid of Mysky box.

Massive set backwards andcseriuosly considering going gack to using mysky box.

Posted from Apple iPad
Staff

by Staff olof Staff
Message 4 of 10 (547 Views)

@PaulKirker appreciate your feedback. Comments and hopefully some answers below:

In regard to WiFi extenders dropping off:

This should definitely not be happening. Can you please let us know:

- How far are your WiFi extender units from each other?

- Do you have a single pair of WiFi extenders, or additional ones?

- If they are in different rooms (probably), are your walls wooden or concrete?

- Can you confirm that one of the extenders is connected directly to your broadband router using an Ethernet cable? 

In regard to not being able to record all programmes:

The Vodafone TV service use what we call a cloud PVR (cloud personal video recorder). This means that all recordings are stored on Vodafone servers "in the cloud" and not on a hard drive in the set-top box. For you as a customer this means that your recordings are available on all your devices: mobile and set-top box. And if you record on one set-top box or mobile, the recording is immediately available on your second set-top box (if you have one) and on your mobile devices. The cloud PVR also provides the 3 day catch-up service you mentioned, and cool future features that we have not launched yet. 

To allow recordings to be made in the cloud, Vodafone must acquire "recording rights" from all our content partners, like SKY, TVNZ and the movie studios. (Set-top boxes with a hard drive in them do not require "rights" as the NZ copyright act allows for recording in the home for time shifting purposes.) The Vodafone TV team has worked very hard since many months before launch to acquire these rights. As an example, the recording "coverage" is 100% on most SKY channels. We are of course continuing to work hard to improve recording rights on all channels.  In other words, expect ongoing improvements going forward.

In regards to visual feedback for fast forward and fast rewind:

This is a feature that is currently in development. I cannot provide dates, but rest assured it is a top priority for us to take to customers.

In regards to "carry over" (we call it guard times):

Guard times is currently available for recordings and for catch-up. (1 minute leading guard time, and 1, 5 or 10 minute trailing guard time depending on channel.)  

However, guard times is not available for Restart (starting a programme currently airing from the beginning). This is something that is also in development as a product improvement. 

In regard to running two TVs off one STB:

The ability to do so on a SKY box and similar boxes is a hang-over from the analogue days of TV. Going forward you will find that no new modern TV services will be able to do this, as output will increasingly be digital HDMI only. I guess this is both the way that technology is moving, and also now what rights holders require us to comply with in order to be allowed to carry their content. 

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (529 Views)

Thanks for response to my complaints.  I still think Vodafone should not have launched a product that was far from complete and certainly not make customers aware of the pitfalls before they make a major change (such as I did) and charge full price!

With repect to your questions about my wifi extender units, this is my situation:

All walls in my house are wood framework & gib board.  It is a small house and the router and TV's are all on the ground level.

Fibre connection comes in to my office to the Vodafone HG659 router which is separated by one wall to the main TV at a distance of 4 metres.  There is an ethernet cable from the router to the master extender which is set on AP.

The main TV has an ethernet cable from the Vodafone TV box to another extender which is set on Station.

The 2nd TV is located about 9 metres from the router and has the same setup with extender as the main TV. 

Both TV's drop off coverage on almost a daily basis and I have to reboot the receiving routers (unplugging and then pressing the WPS buttons on both master extender and receiving extenders) every time.  I am seriously sick of this.  It is potentially a good product but far from doing its job.  I can't recommend it.

Staff

by Staff olof Staff
Message 6 of 10 (526 Views)

@PaulKirker,

Let me check with the team responsible for the WiFi extenders tomorrow and get back to you. 

Staff

by Staff olof Staff
Message 7 of 10 (475 Views)

@PaulKirker,

Thanks for the description and sounds like you are already correctly set-up. Providing a bit of a checklist below for troubleshooting:

1. Ensure WiFi extender connected to router is in AP mode. OK in your set-up.
  2. Ensure WiFi extenders by set-top boxes are in Station mode. Ok in your set-up.
  3. Check that HG659 and Kaon uses different 5GHz WiFi bands to avoid interference. (Use a low one and high one respectively.) Alternatively, and even better, disable 5GHz band on HG659.
  4. Ensure WiFi extenders are not hidden inside of cabinets or behind TVs etc

If the above does not help, can you please try to set the Power Mode on your STB to "Instant On Mode" by going to Settings > More Settings > Power? 

Finally, if you connect a laptop via an Ethernet cable to the extender when this issue happens, do you have internet connectivity?

If you are still having problems after this, could you please take photos or video of the issue when it happens and PM me with it? Thanks. This should not happen, so let's get it sorted.

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 10 (387 Views)

Thanks for the tips.  My power settings on both STB's are already on 'Instant On Mode'.  One of the Tv's dropped off again last night!  Could you please explain how to disable the 5GHz band on the HG659 router?  There is no button or anything on the router itself that I can find to do this and there is no mention of this facility on the instruction manual that came with the router.

Staff

by Staff olof Staff
Message 9 of 10 (266 Views)

@PaulKirker,

To disable the 5GHz band on your HG659 broadband router, do the following:

• Open a browser on your PC or Mac and go to http://192.168.1.1/ 
    (The IP address may be different, but the above is the default one. Let me know if the above does not work.)
  • Login into the router using username "vodafone" and password "vodafone":

Login.png

• Then click on "Home Network" button:

SelectHomeNetwork.png

• Select "WLAN Settings":

WLANSettings.png

• Finally, ensure "Enable WLAN 5GHz" tick box is not checked, then click on "Save".

EnableWLAN.png

Once you have completed the above, the HG659 5GHz band is disabled, minimising the chances of any interference with the WiFi extenders.

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by dlunny Starter Poster
Message 10 of 10 (304 Views)

Totally agree with what you have said PaulKirker

I was the some talked in to switching from Sky TV to the new Vodafone TV Box by a smooth-talking telemarketer only to find all these faults with the box and like you say for the full price {same as Sky}. If I knew what I no now I would have never changed until they had it the same as Sky tv.

Thanks David

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4w ago
  • 8 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors