Reporting cellsite issues

Regular Poster
Accepted Solution

Reporting cellsite issues

by Regular Poster gforum Regular Poster
Message 1 of 29 (635 Views)

Hi there, what's the easiest way to report issues with a particular cellsite? Calling 777 I just never seem to get them to believe me - they always blame my phone and start troubleshooting process with my phone, which I've already done... for example, right now I'm in a remote area with a single cellsite (Whakapapa Village, SH48). I'm literally 100m away from it, line of sight, full bars 3G and I can make calls and send SMS, but data is just not working. I can see stats that my phone is successfully sending data out, but receiving NIL. Confirmed issue with at least 3 other vodafone users and 1 roaming 2degrees user - same symptoms. Moving to another area (driving up to the ski fields) - and suddently everything works fine. Back to the village, no data again. I'm here for the next week, and not having data on my smartphone is annoying... so... what's the best place to report it?

Business Ninja Adept

Re: Reporting cellsite issues

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 29 (614 Views)

@gforumYou'll need to call 0800-921-021 Mobile Tech Support and request an INC fault ticket be logged for this issue.

For checking sake however, I have just checked the site is up and taking traffic, alarm free. Checking the performance stats of the site, I can also see it is successfully passing both HSDPA and HSUPA traffic with no issue or change in performance.

Are you sure we are thinking of the same cell site? - Our site named Whakapapa Village site is located on the rooftop of RAL Lodge staff quarters, Ngaurahoe Tce.

I suspect you are thinking of a different cell site.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Regular Poster

Message 3 of 29 (605 Views)

Thanks for checking @sebastianbd . Similar behaviour today, except the Vodafone prepay is working today.

The vodafone data modem is same - no problems sending - plenty going out, but nothing coming in - according to stats on the modem. GPRS works perfectly (slow) on all devices and on both vodafone and 2degress.

The only smartphone I have here on Android version that supports cell site stats is a 2degrees mobile Huawei Nexus 6p, and this is what I see - two Vodafone sites:

CID 46555
UCID 26392027
band 8 (900mhz)

CID 46558
UCID 26392030
band 8 (900mhz)

both voice and SMS are OK, but no data. Sometimes a few KB of data goes through shortly after handover from one to the other, then it stops again.

So I walked to the RAL HQ on Ngarauhoe Tce and found the two beauties on the roof (see next post).

So while standing right in front of them, I tried to access something on the net, restarted phone, enabled data, moved from one side to another - and it never resolved a single DNS query...  Still methinks something is wrong there...

If you already have an INC number let me know, if not, I'll call in to report.

Regular Poster

Message 4 of 29 (604 Views)

IMG_20180628_100341_th.jpg

Business Ninja Adept

Message 5 of 29 (596 Views)

Is it any better now?

Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 6 of 29 (555 Views)

@gforum wrote:

IMG_20180628_100341_th.jpg

There's no cellsite on the roof of that building that I can see....

Regular Poster

Message 7 of 29 (553 Views)

Not all antennae look the same... Look for these two tall sticks on each side of the roof - about 3m tall - I think. These here are omnidirectional whip antenae in fibreglass enclosures. Similar to what you see on boats with their VHF marine radios. I believe these are tuned to 900MHz and spread radio in all directions, but I'm not an expert just a geek.

Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 8 of 29 (549 Views)

@gforum wrote:

Not all antennae look the same... Look for these two tall sticks on each side of the roof - about 3m tall - I think. These here are omnidirectional whip antenae in fibreglass enclosures. Similar to what you see on boats with their VHF marine radios. I believe these are tuned to 900MHz and spread radio in all directions, but I'm not an expert just a geek.

I don't think Vodafone use that type of antenna but I could be wrong... I can see what your talking about I think they must be for CB Radio or something. Can you see a equipment shelter anywhere around the outside og the building? this would indicate that it is indeed a cellsite,

Regular Poster

Message 9 of 29 (545 Views)

@Christopher wrote:

@gforum wrote:

I don't think Vodafone use that type of antenna but I could be wrong... I can see what your talking about I think they must be for CB Radio or something. Can you see a equipment shelter anywhere around the outside og the building? this would indicate that it is indeed a cellsite,

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't be surprised these are the real thing. The rather thick cable goes inside the building, so the equipment is probably stored inside, out of the harsh elements here. The Spark cellsite on the other side of the Chateau is just standard 3-way directional antennae, with the equipment cabinet next to it, however.
Business Ninja Adept

Message 10 of 29 (537 Views)

@gforum wrote:

@Christopher wrote:

@gforum wrote:

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't be surprised these are the real thing. The rather thick cable goes inside the building, so the equipment is probably stored inside, out of the harsh elements here. The Spark cellsite on the other side of the Chateau is just standard 3-way directional antennae, with the equipment cabinet next to it, however.

Correct. These are omnidirectional antennas on this site.

And again correct, Our BTS equipment is located inside the building in a room.

Stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 12w ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors