@vodafone.net.nz SMTP Access Outside Vodafone's Network

Starter Poster

@vodafone.net.nz SMTP Access Outside Vodafone's Network

by rusticate Starter Poster
Message 1 of 15 (9,095 Views)

Hi, folks.  This is an oft-logged issue over the years which I've worked around in the past by relaying my outbound email off Xtra's servers.  Well no more.  Come 30-Sep, Xtra has advised me (on each of my 5x vodafone.net.nz addresses) that they will deny relay moving forward to tighten security.

VF team, what is the outbound SMTP address to use (inbound POP is not a problem) when outside Vodafone's network, eg. when on Xtra broadband (as I am), travelling overseas, etc.  mail.internode.on.net non-SSL on port 25 as suggested recently (& unresponded) on another thread does not appear to work - failed connection in email client and no response with telnet client on 25.

Webmail is not a solution; I require ongoing direct POP/IMAP & SMTP access to my VF email.

Thanks.

Staff Lon
Staff

Re: @vodafone.net.nz SMTP Access Outside Vodafone's Network

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 2 of 15 (9,085 Views)

Hi there - can you try these settings please?

Other email providers

Username

Your full e-mail address (e.g. john@vodafone.net.nz)

Password

Enter the password you have chosen for your email account

Incoming server

Your email provider's email server, e.g. pop.xtra.co.nz)

Outgoing server

smtp.vodafone.co.nz

Port

POP 110, SMTP 25

Authentication

Not required, unless you are using the account on a mobile device outside of the Vodafone network, or unless otherwise specified by your email provider.

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Highlighted
Ninja Initiate

by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 3 of 15 (9,077 Views)

@rusticate 

You have 2 options.

Option 1

Verify the vodafone email address on xtra webmail and use xtra's outgoing server with authentication

http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/1547/~/verifying-non-xtra-email-addresses-in-yahoo...

Option 2

Opt out of port 25 filtering by filling out the form at the end of the webpage(link below) and then use these settings

outgoing server : smtp2.vodafone.net.nz

Port : 25

No SSL

username : full email address

password : *********

http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ninja Master

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 4 of 15 (9,073 Views)

smtp2.vodafone.net.nz  and Gmail also offers smtp authentication for outbound email

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 15 (9,048 Views)

Hi folks.  Thanks for your suggestions, however, have been there done that.

@Lon

Umm... I wish to access my VF email. Setting my inbound POP server to another ISP is not going to help with that.  And the SMTP info you have provided is the standard settings. If they worked I wouldn't be posting here. Thnx anyway.

@redsun11 (Option 2), johnr

Those settings don't and have never worked with VF's current email product from outside the VF network (3G or fixed-line). I'm a Telecom/Xtra broadband user and could be operating off any ISP when travelling. They result in a connection refused. Besides, smtp2.vodafone.net.nz resolves to the same IP address as smtp.vodafone.co.nz so naturally has the same result.

@ redsun11 (Option 1)

That's Telcom's 45min workaround that they don't recommend.  Email I received to my 5x vodafone.net.nz addresses advising of relay termination is as follows; you may have seen it before:

"Hello,

You may or may not know that when you send email from xxx@vodafone.net.nz it gets directed through a Telecom server.

On 30 September, we’re making some changes that will help make your email more secure and reduce spam. It’s all part of giving you the best possible service, but first you’ll need to make some decisions about your email and update your system. Here are your options:

OPTION 1: Keep using xxx@vodafone.net.nz. 
Your easiest option is send email directly through vodafone.net.nz. You’ll need their ‘outgoing mail’ settings for POP email to make the necessary update. Here’s a link to their page where you’ll find more information.

OPTION 2: Use your FREE xtra.co.nz email address. 
All Telecom broadband customers have a FREE xtra.co.nz email address. You can sign up or activate yours now at telecom.co.nz/email

OPTION 3: Replicate your current set up
While our system isn’t designed to support it, it’s still technically possible to send email from xxx@vodafone.net.nz through a Telecom server. This is a complex workaround and could take up to 45 minutes to set up. We wouldn’t recommend this option, but if you think it’s better for you, go to http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/1547 to find out how to do this."

Direct SMTP to VF's servers used to work under the previous OneBox email product. When VF changed to the current (in-house?) product it broke. Relying on relaying from another ISP's servers is not a good service (or email etiquette) and one I shouldn't have to rely on as evidenced by an Xtra change - if VF wish to provide a good service. I don't object to SSL/authentication but it must work. Test email clients are Outlook, Android email on Alcatel 922 (over WiFi as my 3G is Vodafone) and telnet.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 15 (9,041 Views)

Not sure if these screen scrapes will show OK: 

Note that if I specifiy an incorrect password for SMTP authentication then I get the same result as in the first graphic (1 of 2 failed connection errors, eg. "Send test e-mail message:   The server responded: 421 Cannot connect to SMT"), ie. Outlook is not successfully connecting to the outbound server let alone passing credentials.

Ninja Initiate

Message 7 of 15 (9,039 Views)

@rusticate 

What outgoing server are you using at the moment?

Are you on wifi or 3g?

If on wifi who is the ISP?

smtp2.vodaofne.net.nz  will work with authentication on most internet connections.

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 15 (8,977 Views)

Apologies for the delay responding.  Currently using stmp.xtra.co.nz outbound and pop.vodafone.co.nz inbound.  As before, Spark/Telecom/Xtra are disabling open relay on their SMTP servers come 30-Sep so alternative connectivity must be found.

I do not use Vodafone 3G (unless by accident), instead either use WiFi via my Spark/Telecom/Xtra broadband connection or any other ISP depending on where I am at the time.

A question is: if pop.vodafone.co.nz (port 110) is accessible directly from outside VF's network, why is not smtp.vodafone.co.nz?

Also as before, a port 25 connection to smtp.vodafone.co.nz (203.109.135.50) and smtp2.vodafone.net.nz (also 203.109.135.50) appears to be refused PRIOR to passing authentication credentials.  Short of putting a protocol analyser on the wire I'm not sure what further I can provide you.

Ninja Initiate

Message 9 of 15 (8,965 Views)

@rusticate 

Thanks for the info.

Telecom/Spark block port 25. Please follow option 2 from my post above to turn port 25 filtering off and then you can use our outgoing server with authentication on port 25.

If you decide not to turn off port 25 filtering then you are left with option 1 (from my post above) or Gmail.

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 15 (8,897 Views)

Sounds like I will do both Option 1 & Option 2 because 2 is only good when on Telecom's network.  Telecom must only block port 25 departing their network, ie. permit for access to their own SMTP servers.  Will advise if this does not work.

Webmail is not a med/long-term option.  Thnx.

Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today