totally gutted wife has lost all her credit on her phone :-(

Starter Poster

by RegNZ Starter Poster
Message 1 of 13 (555 Views)

why does vodafone steal all your credit if you forget to pay more money when you already have credit ???

Starter Poster

Re: totally gutted wife has lost all her credit on her phone :-(

by RegNZ Starter Poster
Message 2 of 13 (533 Views)

I guess Vodafone just likes to get as much money as they can. But surely it is not a good business practice to make your customers unhappy by stealing money off of them?  If a person had a bank account with money in it would a bank just say ok you have not added any more money lately we will remove all your money. You then add more money and say hey I am still using this account look I just put money in it, Bank says too bad we are still keeping you money. 

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 3 of 13 (497 Views)
Sounds like your wife's credit expired as she had not topped up in 12 months.

This is covered in the prepay terms and conditions agreed to.

There is a warning SMS sent prior to credit expiry also.
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

by RegNZ Starter Poster
Message 4 of 13 (476 Views)

But why does vodafone have such a policy? She is elderly and mainly has the phone for emergencies and when traveling. It just seems pretty mean to take money off pensioners like that, its not like she is cancelling a contract or anything. I have just had to pay out another $20 and according to my bank statement I just paid $20 to vodafone in February. 

Starter Poster

by RegNZ Starter Poster
Message 5 of 13 (419 Views)

Of course her credit has expired, the point is that why does vodafone do that to its customers? Qoting the terms and conditions doesnt actually answer the question.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 6 of 13 (399 Views)

It cost money to have a connection active whether it is used or not. If you ran a mobile phone network, your eyes would water at how much licensing fees and other stuff running a network cost. They can't have 1000s of low use or no use connections sitting active on the network, so that is why there are limits on how long topup lasts and how long if no topup connection will be deactivated.

New Poster

by RegNZ27 New Poster
Message 7 of 13 (310 Views)

That doesnt answer the question at all. The fact is the Phone  IS ACTIVE, the phone was never deactivated .... vodafone just stole the credit. If a phone is deactivated and not used at all for a month or so what you say would make sense and would be fair enough. But the phone IS being used and more money being paid onto it.

So it just seems a really bad business model to piss off customers like that. Vodafone just delivered two separate letters to my wife and I trying to get us to swap our internet account to vodafone. That mail, brochures etc will have cost money. If they had been caring enough in this matter I might have considered swapping over to them, but no way would I want to pay $90 per month to a company that trerats its customers so poorly. The fact is I am currently paying $100 a month for internet and landline.  But  any  company that legally steals $22 off a forgetful elderly citizen is not to be trusted and doesnt really deserve to be in business. 

Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 8 of 13 (297 Views)

As @coffeebaron said, it costs a lot of money to run a network, and we have a limited amount of phone numbers we can give out, which is why they will expire a year after they haven't been topped up. 

We actually only expire the credit after a year, then to allow customers who have ignored the warning txt messages, we also allow an extra month before we actually disconnect the number if it still hasn't been topped up.

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Starter Poster

by RegNZ Starter Poster
Message 9 of 13 (288 Views)

We know what the policy is, the question being asked is WHY have such a policy when it clearly upsets customers.  The phone still exists, the sim card still exists, its still being used, it was NEVER deactevated, money continues to to be paid onto the prepay phone. So why not just reinstate the $22 and keep your customer happy? Are you really saying that vodafone just does not care ? That vodafone makes so many millions in profit they can't be bothered with an elderly customer who forgets to check messages and forgets to top up. Surely it would be much fairer to only "steal" the $22 when you actually deactivate the phone. NOT on the 12 month anniversary of the last top up. I actually find it hard to believe it was in fact 12 months, according to my bank statement we paid vodafone $20 in February 2017.

Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 10 of 13 (285 Views)

If we never deactivated numbers that hadn't been topped up, we would run out of numbers to issue customers, and all of these extra connections sitting connected to the network would use valueable, and as previously advised, costly resource on our network, which would degrade the experience for paying customers.

The $20 you have on your bank statement must be for another number/service as the credit expiry and disconnection process is automated.

I don't think you're going to get anywhere here. 

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 23w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today