Configuring outlook.com on my laptop via outlook 2003

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Configuring outlook.com on my laptop via outlook 2003

by anakya Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (336 Views)

I had a clear.net account, and am trying to configure my new outlook.com email on my laptop.  I have Microsoft office 2003.  I tried setting it up manually  with imap server addresses but this did not work.  Is this system compatible with office 2003, or will I have to upgrade Microsoft office?  If so, I find this really annoying as it worked fine with clear.net and I didn't choose to change email services.  I use my laptop for work and typing large documents on an iPad keyboard is just a pain and destroys your thumbs and eyesight!

Posted from Apple iPad

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Configuring outlook.com on my laptop via outlook 2003

by anakya Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (500 Views)

Ok tried using the exchange server outlook.office365.com but error message says: " the connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action".  Also I could not add an exchange server address while outlook was open, but had to do it via the control panel.  No screen came up asking for email address or password, so I put the email address as 'user name'.  Still no joy.  Suggestions?

View solution in original post

Posted from Apple iPad
Solution
Accepted by topic author anakya
‎02-10-2017 08:44 AM

All Replies
Vodafone Ninja

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 5 (291 Views)

Hi @anakya

Click here then click on 'Outlook 2007'  this will give you steps very similar to set up Outlook 2003.

Thanks,

Hamish

Starter Poster

by anakya Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (501 Views)

Ok tried using the exchange server outlook.office365.com but error message says: " the connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action".  Also I could not add an exchange server address while outlook was open, but had to do it via the control panel.  No screen came up asking for email address or password, so I put the email address as 'user name'.  Still no joy.  Suggestions?

Posted from Apple iPad
Solution
Accepted by topic author anakya
‎02-10-2017 08:44 AM
Highlighted
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster yitz Frequent Poster
Message 4 of 5 (269 Views)

Just to be clear you do not need to use Outlook 2003 to access your new Outlook.com email, it can be done by navigating to www.outlook.com in any modern web browser such as Google Chrome. However if you previously used Outlook 2003 to access your clear.net.nz inbox and you wish to also add your new Oultook.com account to Outlook 2003 you should add this account as an IMAP/SMTP account, here is a video showing you the steps on how to add and remove Outlook.com accounts. You should not remove your previous clear.net.nz account unless you do not wish to retain your email data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZZSwjZGU0

The only variation to the above video is in the step where you configure the outgoing server, make sure to set to the outgoing server port number to 587 rather than 25.

outgoingserv.jpg

How to add an Outlook.com account to Outlook 2003 after your account is migrated to the new Outlook.com servers. More information: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outlookcom/outlook-com-migration-status/
Starter Poster

by anakya Starter Poster
Message 5 of 5 (259 Views)

Thank you yitz!

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 12w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors