Password: VF-NZhg556

alternative login:
Username: advanced
Password: advanced

to change the password to your broadband login:
Click on Advance Setup
then click on WAN
and click Next after selecting ADSL uplink
Click on the "Edit" on voice/data option.
ATM PVC Configuration VPI=0, VCI=100
click next
Connection Type: PPPoverATM Encapsulation: VCMUX
click next
PPP username: yourusername@vodafone.co.nz
PPP password: your password you receive from vodafone
Authentication Method: PAP
click next
at the enable wan service just click next.
WAN summary click save
back on the Wide Area Network Setup click on Save Reboot.

if this steps is running really slow before you click on any pages disconnect the phone cable from the ADSL port on the modem and this process will speed up.

if you want to change the SSID/wireless network name to the advance setup and click on "Wireless" on the left hand menu and follow by "basic" and change the name and click on apply settings
to change the presharedkey/wireless password click on "Wireless" follow by "Security" under the "Wireless" and after you have change the preshared key/passphrase(have to be at least 8 characters but cannot have any symbols) and click save apply.

hope this helps.
New Poster
nzlotrfan

HG556a modem

by nzlotrfan New Poster
Message 2 of 36 (50,053 Views)
Can this modem be used as a wireless print server?

TIA!
Ninja Initiate
joshloh

HG556a modem

by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 3 of 36 (50,053 Views)
i believe its networking side of it which to be honest i'm not familiar with.. one thing i know is you can connect the printer on the modem via USB and you can setup that way....if you want if you can PM me your email address i'm happy to email you the manual :)
Please call the contact centre if urgent as will come off and on during my breaks, lunch, or idle time or my roster day off to help out on the forums

Somethings that i mention on the forum is purely my personal findings through troubleshooting with customers that rang in and doesnt mean it works for them it works for you.

J Loh
Fixed Line and Fixed Broadband Agent, Vodafone NZ Ltd
0800 438 448
New Poster
Thoreau

HG556a modem

by Thoreau New Poster
Message 4 of 36 (50,053 Views)
nzlotrfan, on 02 January 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Can this modem be used as a wireless print server?

TIA!

Hi,

This router is a wireless print server. To configure it as a print server and connect to it...
1. Plug your printer into one of the USB ports
2. Browse to 192.168.1.1 (assuming you've kept the default IP address for the router) and login to the router as vodafone, password vodafone.
3. Browse to Home Network\Printer, enable the printer and give it a name; in my case Brother_HL2040
4. From Windows, add new printer, next screen select network printer, next screen select printer on the Internet or home/office network. The URL is 192.168.1.1:631/printers/WhateverYouNamedYourPrinter. Select your printer type from the list or load the driver CD and select Have Disk.

Hope this helps!

Where I've specified the URL you should put http:// in front of the 192.168.1.1 but I couldn't post this.
New Poster
Larsin

HG556a modem

by Larsin New Poster
Message 5 of 36 (50,053 Views)
Hi there,

Sorry for hijacking. How can I connect a printer to my Macbook pro? I've done the above (192.168.1.1:631/printers/HP is my url). I've connected it to my Windows laptop and it's printing fine but I can't seem to get it working on my mac.

I'm doing the following settings on my mac:

Add new IP Printer

Protocol: IPP
Address: 192.168.1.1:631
Queue: printers/HP
Name: HP DeskJet 2050
Print Using: HP DeskJet 2050 J510 Series (Official Printer Drivers obtained from HP website)

Doing this gives me a communication error. If I use all the same settings but use the LPD protocol instead it doesn't give me any errors but the printer pauses automatically when trying to print something.

Any help?
New Poster
ozynz

HG556a modem

by ozynz New Poster
Message 6 of 36 (50,053 Views)
Larsin, on 02 May 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Hi there,

Sorry for hijacking. How can I connect a printer to my Macbook pro? I've done the above (192.168.1.1:631/printers/HP is my url). I've connected it to my Windows laptop and it's printing fine but I can't seem to get it working on my mac.

I'm doing the following settings on my mac:

Add new IP Printer

Protocol: IPP
Address: 192.168.1.1:631
Queue: printers/HP
Name: HP DeskJet 2050
Print Using: HP DeskJet 2050 J510 Series (Official Printer Drivers obtained from HP website)

Doing this gives me a communication error. If I use all the same settings but use the LPD protocol instead it doesn't give me any errors but the printer pauses automatically when trying to print something.

Any help?

I am pretty much at the same spot, althought I have found today that I need to add the bit to the queue part of the mac setup, will give a try in a bit, I setup all three different options, results have been the mac can see the printer, and gives it a green light, but once I go to print a test page, and ends in a "printer is busy" state.

Also I'd like to know what commands are going to be required to see an external drive on the mac that is connected to the modem? I've setup the pc, and all is a-o.k. there.
Regular Poster
bcraig24

HG556a modem

by Regular Poster bcraig24 Regular Poster
Message 7 of 36 (50,053 Views)
I had my Canon MP210 set-up as a network printer on my HG556a modem. It was successfully working on 3 separate computers with the address
http://192.168.1.1:631/printer

Now for an unknown reason it randomly doesn't work on any of my computers. I've tried removing and adding again and still no luck.
I had a similar issue a while a go and I found if I changed the printer name in the modem settings which used to be /canon to /printer if worked again. Tried this and did not work this time.

"Windows cannot connect to the printer..."

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ben
Staff
Manoj

HG556a modem

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 8 of 36 (50,053 Views)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUJDcspizJ0

A link with instructions to setup in Windows. I am not familiar on doing it with a Mac and neither could I find instructions for it.
I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
New Poster
skao003

Re: HG556a modem

by skao003 New Poster
Message 9 of 36 (37,760 Views)

Hi

I just got my HG556a router, I can change the admin password, but I am not able to change the vodafone and support accountpassword, and someone help me to change it.

I login through telnet use admin accound and use the command passwd vodafone my_new_password

After that I logout use vodafone to login with my new password, the login failed, same for support account.

Thanks.

New Poster
davidcheong89

Re: HG556a modem

by davidcheong89 New Poster
Message 10 of 36 (32,882 Views)

please help anyone. mine hg556a seems to be different from other people. my url is 192.168.0.1, i believe it is from spain. it is completely different from the one i look online, no option to update or any other advance option. please provide info on how to flash (if neccesary)? thanks. 

Stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 4y ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 12 Contributors
<%@page import="java.util.*" %>