Wireless internet access in adjacent buildings

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Wireless internet access in adjacent buildings

by Pietman Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (331 Views)

Hi Ninja's.

I live on a semi-rural property. We moved into a steel structured, converted barn, some time ago. A wireles broadband set-up was installed in the building. It works great inside the building. This is however not the main building. Soon the landline will be extended to the "main" building which is being built next door. It is also a steel structured converted barn. How do I get wireless broadband (from the same landline) in this building ? We require internet access in both buildings. 

Wireless connection problem.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Wireless internet access in adjacent buildings

by Contributor MrMorm Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (557 Views)

The steel may play havoc with your wifi. So, run an Ethernet cable along with the phone line between the two buildings. Then put a wireless access point on the new building end and connect the other end of the  cable to your modem in the existing building.

You'll have wifi in both places then,  and the wireless AP usually has ethernet ports to for an more wired connections.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author Pietman
‎05-10-2017 11:53 AM

All Replies
Contributor

by Contributor MrMorm Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (558 Views)

The steel may play havoc with your wifi. So, run an Ethernet cable along with the phone line between the two buildings. Then put a wireless access point on the new building end and connect the other end of the  cable to your modem in the existing building.

You'll have wifi in both places then,  and the wireless AP usually has ethernet ports to for an more wired connections.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Pietman
‎05-10-2017 11:53 AM
Starter Poster

by Pietman Starter Poster
Message 3 of 3 (273 Views)

Thanks for the help. I will try to run the cable along the duct between the two buildings. Unfortunately the one end is already closed up (at the existing building's end). I may have to cut an access hole in the gib to get to the spot where the cable enters the duct at that end. I will feed back ASAP.

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 12w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors